Connect with us

SD card slot won't lock card

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by TTL, Jan 20, 2016.

1. TTL

TTL

Oct 24, 2013
    I have a problem with an SD card slot in a camera.
    Usually you push the card in and it "clicks" in place until you press it again and it pops out, but here the card won't stay in and just pops out no matter how many time I press. I have no idea how or why this has happened because I've been gentle with it. Is there a spring mechanism which can somehow be reset?

2. Anon_LG

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
    Have you set the small lock switch on the SD card to the unlocked condition?

Else, the problem could be mechanical wear, these mechanisms are only good for a few thousand insertions.

3. TTL

TTL

Oct 24, 2013
    Just checked -the lock was off, but I tried in both positions just to be sure. No luck.
    As for tear and wear -the camera is only a month old and I would guess I've had less than 20 insertions during that time. I'm thinking some spring somewhere has gotten out of place or something, but I don't know how these things work, and I'm unable to view it from the side as it goes into the battery compartment.

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    and have you tried the obvious .... another card ?
    that will prove if it is the card or the mechanism in the camera that is faulty

if it is the camera you should be doing a warranty claim

Dave

Anon_LG likes this.
  5. TTL

TTL

Oct 24, 2013
    Yes, same result with a different card.
    So this isn't the sort of thing that happens now and then with SD card slots then? I'd hate to do a warranty claim only to have it suddenly working when they look at it because a spring has sprung back into place or something.

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    relatively rare, and rarer on a new camera, but does happen

so what is the make and model of the camera ?

was this shop or online purchased?
    regardless ... it isn't working ... a warranty claim is in order

Dave

7. TTL

TTL

Oct 24, 2013
    It's a Canon G7X -a high end compact camera bought in a shop. I'll take it back to the shop as the camera is useless without accepting a memory card.

davenn likes this.
Ask a Question