Connect with us

SCR question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by jcurrie, Dec 16, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jcurrie

jcurrie

Feb 22, 2011
    i'm replacing several relays with a SCR my querstion some one gave me a boatload of 400V 2AMP scr will these work at 6 to 12 Volt DC range at around .7 amp or in the internal loss to much for this low voltage? i know in the past i have used SCR's at 60% of listed max and they work ?
    jcurrie

2. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    A SCR and relay do different things The SCR will turn on but not turn off like a relay unless it is switching AC.

A SCR will need over a volt across it to work. This may give too much loss in a low voltage circuit

A SCR needs a minimum current to hold on, 0.7A should be plenty, look in the data sheet.

3. jcurrie

jcurrie

Feb 22, 2011
    thanks due to space constraints is why i was looking into replacing the relays will lookinto SCSs . most of my work with SCRs was in high current apps in the industral sector, as for data sheets the bag just says 400v 2 amp no part # on case .

4. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    A popular small SCR is the C106M. (400V, 4A)
    This drops 2.2V when on.
    It needs 20mA through it to start.
    It needs 3mA to hold on.

I would think your devices would be similar.

Ask a Question