Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Scoreboard project

baucat9

Jan 29, 2015
hey guys! I am looking to make a scoreboard with just home and guest score and maybe period. I would like the best way to do it without a micro controller. The digits need to be at least 2.5". I am willing to do what ever to do to make it work. Power supply and current. Thanks for your time

max_torch

Feb 9, 2014
All you need are counter ICs. 74 series or ones with a CD prefix should do. Simulate your design in any SPICE simulator, breadboard the simulated circuit, design and construct the pcbs. For digits you can either buy whole digits or you can make them using LEDs, cost of LEDs varying depending on max brightness, and you might want to also consider the way the light comes off the LED, some are straight focused in the center while others are sort of diffused..
You can go dual power supply, a higher supply voltage for the digits and a smaller voltage for your counters. use transistors, or ULN2000 series to interface between the counters' voltage and the digits voltage. feel free to ask more if you need more enlightenment

Last edited:

baucat9

Jan 29, 2015
Thanks max. Now my question is how exactly does an IC counter work and how many will I need.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hi there and welcome to Electronic Point :)

Tell us your requirements and we can be more specific.

How many digits per team? In other words, do you need 0-99 or 0-999?

Is the period just a number, like 1~4? (Sorry, I'm not a sports fan.)

How do you want to control the numbers? A button that you press once for every point to add? What happens if you go too far? Do you need to be able to reduce the score as well? Or would you rather have an up/down button or switch for each digit?

Mouser (http://www.mouser.com) have 7-segment displays with digit heights up to 4". The next size down is 2.3". The 4" ones from Kingbright can be driven fairly easily using, for example, a ULN2003 (see http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ULN2003A/497-2344-5-ND/599603) for each digit. They cost are around USD 12 per digit and are available in red and green. Look under optoelectronics then LED displays and accessories, select the size(s) you want, and click Apply Filters.

baucat9

Jan 29, 2015
Thanks Kris. I would like to go 1-4 on the period and 0-99 on the score. I would like 1 button for each home and guest to count up, 1 button to count up for the period, and 1 total reset button.

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
In that case I suggest you use the CD4033 (see http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...GAEpiMZZMtdY2G%2bSI3N4T1SYayRwwFD7laTHao/MNU=). One for each digit, so 5 in total.

I suspect you may regret not having a count back button, but omitting that button means you can use a 4033 as the counter and display decoder. A solution with a count back button would need two ICs per digit - a counter and a separate decoder.

You will need one ULN2003 per digit to drive the displays, and you will need common anode displays: http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...=sGAEpiMZZMvkC18yXH9iIlPqJScb4RGnF4uVeGLvkgY= (green) and/or http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...=sGAEpiMZZMvkC18yXH9iIob7fjiexjViHilMshDDFMo= (red).

baucat9

Jan 29, 2015
In that case I suggest you use the CD4033 (see http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/CD4033BE/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtdY2G%2bSI3N4T1SYayRwwFD7laTHao/MNU=). One for each digit, so 5 in total.

I suspect you may regret not having a count back button, but omitting that button means you can use a 4033 as the counter and display decoder. A solution with a count back button would need two ICs per digit - a counter and a separate decoder.

You will need one ULN2003 per digit to drive the displays, and you will need common anode displays: http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kingbright/SA40-19GWA/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvkC18yXH9iIlPqJScb4RGnF4uVeGLvkgY= (green) and/or http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kingbright/SA40-19EWA/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvkC18yXH9iIob7fjiexjViHilMshDDFMo= (red).
Thanks again. I have a pretty basic understanding of electronics but looking at these products I am confused how to wire this up. But again thanks for your time

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
Here's my recommended design. Right-click it and choose Save Image As then view it at 1:1 zoom in an image viewer.

272520.001.GIF

It requires a power source of 15V DC that's able to supply at least 2A. It uses twelve ICs - six CMOS 4000 series devices, five ULN2003 driver ICs and a 78L09 regulator IC. Here's a circuit description.

U1, a CD4093B quad NAND gate with Schmitt trigger inputs, is shown as four D-shaped objects on the diagram. Three of its four gates are used, for debouncing the pushbutton inputs. This is required because mechanical switches produce contact bounce (look it up on Wikipedia or Google) which would cause multiple increments of counters on each press and must be eliminated.

Each pushbutton (SW1~3) and its pullup resistor (R1~3) produces a voltage that's high (+9V) when the button is not pressed, and 0V when the button is pressed. This voltage is delayed and smoothed by R4~6 and C1~3 and produces a slowly changing voltage on the input to the respective gate. The Schmitt trigger (Wikipedia or Google) input on the gate "cleans up" the slowly changing input and produces a clean signal at the gate output, which goes high when the pushbutton is pressed and returns low when it is released. These signals clock the three counters.

The first counter, for the home score, is implemented by U2 and U3. These are CD4033 divide-by-ten counters with built-in decoding for seven segment display drive. The outputs go high (+9V) to enable the segment. They are fed into a ULN2003 IC (one for each digit) which contains seven transistors with open collectors. When the ULN2003 input is driven high by the CD4033, the corresponding transistor turns ON and pulls its collector down towards 0V. This causes current to flow through the corresponding resistor element in the resistor array (RA1, RA2) and current flows through the corresponding segment of the display (LED1, LED2).

U2 controls LED1, the ones digit of the home score display. Its RBIN (ripple blanking) input, pin 3, is held high so it always displays its digit, even if that digit is 0. When this digit carries from 9 to 0, U2's CARRY output transitions from low to high and increments the count in U3. U3 controls LED2, the tens digit, and its RBIN input is held low, so it only activates its digit if the score is 10 or higher.

The second counter, for the visitor score, is implemented by U4 and U5 and is identical to the first.

The third counter, for the period, is implemented by U6. It is a single digit counter with its RBIN input held low, so it only activates its digit if the period is 1 or higher.

All counters can be reset by pushing pushbutton SW4. This button does not need debouncing because multiple resets don't cause any problem.

SW5 activates the lamp test feature in U2~6 which causes all segments to be activated and is useful for checking the displays and drive circuits.

The display brightness is set by the resistance of RA1~5. I have specified 120Ω which runs the segments at 50 mA, their rated maximum, for maximum brightness. For lower brightness, increase the RA1~6 resistance.

The power supply should be 15V DC and able to supply up to 2A. A 12V power supply will work but RA1~5 resistances must be decreased to achieve the same brightness, and brightness may be less consistent between displays with the lower supply voltage.

All CDn capacitors, and C4 and C5, are decoupling capacitors and must be ceramic capacitors, connected as closely and directly as possible between the VDD and VSS pins of their respective ICs. For CD1, this is pins 14 and 7 of U1. For CD2~6 this is pins 16 and 8 of U2~6.

Here are some Mouser part numbers.

RA1~5: 8x120R resistor network Mouser 652-4114R-1LF-120
U2~6: CD4033B Mouser 595-CD4033BE
U7~11: ULN2003 Mouser 511-ULN2003A
LED1~5: Mouser 604-SA40-19GWA (green), 604-SA40-19EWA (red) or 604-SA40-19SURKWA (super-bright red)
Use IC sockets for the 4033s and ULN2003s

baucat9

Jan 29, 2015
Sorry, I meant to tell u I want use this remote to control it.
Here's my recommended design. Right-click it and choose Save Image As then view it at 1:1 zoom in an image viewer.

View attachment 18473

It requires a power source of 15V DC that's able to supply at least 2A. It uses twelve ICs - six CMOS 4000 series devices, five ULN2003 driver ICs and a 78L09 regulator IC. Here's a circuit description.

U1, a CD4093B quad NAND gate with Schmitt trigger inputs, is shown as four D-shaped objects on the diagram. Three of its four gates are used, for debouncing the pushbutton inputs. This is required because mechanical switches produce contact bounce (look it up on Wikipedia or Google) which would cause multiple increments of counters on each press and must be eliminated.

Each pushbutton (SW1~3) and its pullup resistor (R1~3) produces a voltage that's high (+9V) when the button is not pressed, and 0V when the button is pressed. This voltage is delayed and smoothed by R4~6 and C1~3 and produces a slowly changing voltage on the input to the respective gate. The Schmitt trigger (Wikipedia or Google) input on the gate "cleans up" the slowly changing input and produces a clean signal at the gate output, which goes high when the pushbutton is pressed and returns low when it is released. These signals clock the three counters.

The first counter, for the home score, is implemented by U2 and U3. These are CD4033 divide-by-ten counters with built-in decoding for seven segment display drive. The outputs go high (+9V) to enable the segment. They are fed into a ULN2003 IC (one for each digit) which contains seven transistors with open collectors. When the ULN2003 input is driven high by the CD4033, the corresponding transistor turns ON and pulls its collector down towards 0V. This causes current to flow through the corresponding resistor element in the resistor array (RA1, RA2) and current flows through the corresponding segment of the display (LED1, LED2).

U2 controls LED1, the ones digit of the home score display. Its RBIN (ripple blanking) input, pin 3, is held high so it always displays its digit, even if that digit is 0. When this digit carries from 9 to 0, U2's CARRY output transitions from low to high and increments the count in U3. U3 controls LED2, the tens digit, and its RBIN input is held low, so it only activates its digit if the score is 10 or higher.

The second counter, for the visitor score, is implemented by U4 and U5 and is identical to the first.

The third counter, for the period, is implemented by U6. It is a single digit counter with its RBIN input held low, so it only activates its digit if the period is 1 or higher.

All counters can be reset by pushing pushbutton SW4. This button does not need debouncing because multiple resets don't cause any problem.

SW5 activates the lamp test feature in U2~6 which causes all segments to be activated and is useful for checking the displays and drive circuits.

The display brightness is set by the resistance of RA1~5. I have specified 120Ω which runs the segments at 50 mA, their rated maximum, for maximum brightness. For lower brightness, increase the RA1~6 resistance.

The power supply should be 15V DC and able to supply up to 2A. A 12V power supply will work but RA1~5 resistances must be decreased to achieve the same brightness, and brightness may be less consistent between displays with the lower supply voltage.

All CDn capacitors, and C4 and C5, are decoupling capacitors and must be ceramic capacitors, connected as closely and directly as possible between the VDD and VSS pins of their respective ICs. For CD1, this is pins 14 and 7 of U1. For CD2~6 this is pins 16 and 8 of U2~6.

Here are some Mouser part numbers.

RA1~5: 8x120R resistor network Mouser 652-4114R-1LF-120
U2~6: CD4033B Mouser 595-CD4033BE
U7~11: ULN2003 Mouser 511-ULN2003A
LED1~5: Mouser 604-SA40-19GWA (green), 604-SA40-19EWA (red) or 604-SA40-19SURKWA (super-bright red)
Use IC sockets for the 4033s and ULN2003s

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
No problem. Just connect the relay contacts of the remote to the places where the pushbutton would have been.