Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Score board for bicycle polo

RV1965

Jan 13, 2011
Hi ,
I play a stupid sport involving bicycles and a ball , we score up to 5 goals to win and need a scoreboard that is portable and easily seen .
I got these led scoreboard circuit boards from down the tip decades ago , unfortunately my good friend Andre the polish electronics genius from next door drank himself to death and since then i don't know anyone who is a dab hand with the soldering iron and wiring diagrams .
I will have a stab at it , the plan is to try and circumnavigate the transisters and the chip, just have the 6 way switch to do the 0,1,2,3,4,5 for polo scoring .
Andre did do this on some other boards for me for a display for a "1999" party we did once and i can show you what he did . But that was just for static numbers...........this would have to change . I am wondering maybe this is not possible ?
Would be great though to match this up with a led clock and we then would have a nice 12v portable led scoreboard !!!!!!!
scoreboard.jpg

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
OK, it looks like there are 11 LEDs in each string with a resistor in series with that. Since they're red LEDs, that means the voltage this runs off is certainly in excess of 12V, probably more like 24V.

It would be a great help if you could give either a close up image of the top section of the board, or alternatively tell us what is written on the chip, and the colours of the bands on the resistors. The voltage rating of the capacitor would also be nice.

If you're lucky, you may be able to treat them like a big 7 segment display, or a BCD display. Either would be not too difficult to interface to. (it may not be that easy if it has a different interface)

How many of these do you have and what do you want your display to show?

RV1965

Jan 13, 2011
Thanks Steve,
really appreciate your help. sorry for the poor quality pic from my phone.
The chip has MC1451 3BCL M82 26
The Resistors are:

band A band B band C band D

orange orange violet silver , x6
red red violet silver, x8
yellow violet red gold x7
violet black blue gold x2

and the capacitor has 10 v on it

All i am trying to make it do is shift from 0 through to 5 by means of a switch of some sorts , i'll put them into some kind of scoreboard . I think they are 24v

Cheers Harvey