Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Schematic editor

David Parker

Jul 31, 2010
Hi. I am just getting into electronics. I would like a simple computer program to draw schematic diagrams of circuits that can output as a gif or similar. I have had a look on the internet and there are lots of them around, at various prices. Can anyone suggest a simple program that can handle simple circuits (preferrably free)?

Thanks, David.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009

David Parker

Jul 31, 2010
Thanks very much for this. I had not considered using MS Paint but your schematics are amazingly good so I will look into it.

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
that can output as a gif or similar

People always under estimate what a simple screen cap can do... Use any app you want and hit ctrl+print screen. Ctrl+p in ms paint and save as. Windows 7 has snipping tool, even better.

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
With ExpressPCB, I export the schematic at 300ppi BMP. I than edit it with Microsoft Office Picture Manager, cropping to size and exporting to a GIF format. This gives a very readable, small size file for posting.

Ken

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
ExpressPCB is one of the best free ones
it outputs files in .bmp from general viewing/printing
I havent used my copy for ages ;)
for all my circuit drawing I use MS Paint over the years of using it I can do a complex schematic reasonably quickly

a couple of examples can be seen on my site...
here http://www.sydneystormcity.com/harris23.htm

and here http://www.sydneystormcity.com/23cm to 1.2cm Xverter.gif

cheers
Dave
VK2TDN

Wow, using MS paint for a block diagram is one thing but you used it for a 23GHz schematic design(that takes dedication).

I now rank you higher than this guy for the best argument that MS Paint is not a useless program(in the right hands).

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Wow, using MS paint for a block diagram is one thing but you used it for a 23GHz schematic design(that takes dedication).

I now rank you higher than this guy for the best argument that MS Paint is not a useless program(in the right hands).

LOL thanks for the vote of support Nick, isnt it interesting. I have no probs drawing complex cct diags, but I tell you, there's no way I could reproduce that car drawing !!!

I have been using MS paint for prob. at least 15 yrs for cct drawing it really works well for me. I get quick at copying and pasting the various component symbols around the screen.

cheers
Dave

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
Ok so copy and paste is how you get around part libraries. I have never found it but does paint have a snap grid? I would be irate trying to do schematic capture without a snap grid. Finally how do you translate your schematic to layout and produce a bill of materials?

That is just the major features I would miss. There are also little things I take for granted like history and version control, multi-sheet hierarchy and compiler and part parameter DB to name a few.

David Parker

Jul 31, 2010
I would be irate trying to do schematic capture without a snap grid. Finally how do you translate your schematic to layout and produce a bill of materials? There are also little things I take for granted like history and version control, multi-sheet hierarchy and compiler and part parameter DB to name a few.

What program do you use to get all these things? How much does it cost?

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
I use Altium designer and at $5k(per seat) it is astronomically more expensive than MS Paint. However since it was developed specifically for electronic design it is not surprising that it rocks at what it does. Altium

One thing I can't do in Altium is spray paint on my schematic, which would be nice at times.

But alas we digress from the point of this thread. The freeware option I used through college was the lite version of orcad. You will however be limited on the number of components. You may also look into open source programs that are similar to MS Visio, which is a diagram tool that comes with a electronics part symbol library. I thonk open office may have an analog but I have never used it.

Last edited: