Maker Pro
Maker Pro

SCADA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric-T

Jun 4, 2017
Hey guys...
So I was offered a job as a Scada technician. I looked it up a little but I still dont know what a scada tech does...
Are there any scada techs on here? Or anyone that can better explain this field of work?

Electric-T

Jun 4, 2017
Haha probably right?
I dont know, i was hoping someone had worked as a tech. Its about a 3 year commitment i just wanted to be very sure about it. Unless a scada tech jumps in with what to expect ill probably do it. I can always back out i suppose

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
"Its about a 3 year commitment"?
What kind of commitment? Military service? Overseas?

You should check very carefully
what is involved,the working conditions,contract ,disengagement etc.

Electric-T

Jun 4, 2017
"Its about a 3 year commitment"?
What kind of commitment? Military service? Overseas?

You should check very carefully
what is involved,the working conditions,contract ,disengagement etc.
Commitment is not a good word to use. Its a water treatment plant. Being an operator while they send me to school for 2 years. I accounted one year for attaining an operators license. So after this 3 year plan i would start as a scada technician. See why i would want to be sure about wanting the job?

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
If possible,
Ask to make an actual visit to the water treatment plant, and talk to some technician there.
Sending you to school makes things clear.

Electric-T

Jun 4, 2017
I plan on a visit. I wouldnt go into this thing blind. Part of the reason im asking around here. Seems there aren't any scada tech s here though

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
It's a mix of programming and sensor understanding.

Most SCADA systems use a mimic display (basically a graphical representation of an industrial process) that shows levels, flows, valve status, alarm conditions etc and users/operators/technicians may be involved with designing the graphical interface and programming it to respond to the sensor inputs.

Equally you may just be required to understand the system enough to attend to damaged sensors and/or setting up and alignment of them etc.

Anyone with decent programming experience (even just BASIC) and familiarity with various industrial type sensors systems (4-20mA, serial, I2C etc) would have no bother adapting to working with them - more so if they intend to train you as you go along.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I worked Supervisory Control & Data Acquisition systems for water treatment for 8 years and the electric utility company for 2 years.
As kellys_eye said, most industrial process control instrumentation runs 1-5V/4-20mA. The SCADA system is the central computer system that monitors all those process control devices.
If you're unfamiliar with 4-20mA current loops, you're going to have to learn them quick.
If you're going to take this job, ask them the manufacturer and model number of their SCADA computer system so you can study-up on it before you start there so you don't look like you're not competent in it.
All the 4-20mA system devices use feedback to read and adjust plant processes (open/close (or anywhere in between) valves, pressures, water and pneumatic levels, differential potentials for level controls, and whatever else they're using). They're specifically asking for a 'SCADA' tech because they want somebody who knows how to interface all those 4-20mA devices to THEIR COMPUTER SYSTEM.
I'd ask whoever you talked to, to identify specifically that computer system so you don't walk into this job empty-headed. The employer might give you access to their documentation, but you sure as heck can look it up on-line and familiarize yourself with what they've got before you get there.
Also ask them if they're using signal wire or fiber optics (or wireless) to interface their equipment with the SCADA system so you know what they've got before you get there.
Good luck. The pay is usually good, but you're going to get call-outs in the middle of the night when critical systems hang-up.

Electric-T

Jun 4, 2017
I worked Supervisory Control & Data Acquisition systems for water treatment for 8 years and the electric utility company for 2 years.
As kellys_eye said, most industrial process control instrumentation runs 1-5V/4-20mA. The SCADA system is the central computer system that monitors all those process control devices.
If you're unfamiliar with 4-20mA current loops, you're going to have to learn them quick.
If you're going to take this job, ask them the manufacturer and model number of their SCADA computer system so you can study-up on it before you start there so you don't look like you're not competent in it.
All the 4-20mA system devices use feedback to read and adjust plant processes (open/close (or anywhere in between) valves, pressures, water and pneumatic levels, differential potentials for level controls, and whatever else they're using). They're specifically asking for a 'SCADA' tech because they want somebody who knows how to interface all those 4-20mA devices to THEIR COMPUTER SYSTEM.
I'd ask whoever you talked to, to identify specifically that computer system so you don't walk into this job empty-headed. The employer might give you access to their documentation, but you sure as heck can look it up on-line and familiarize yourself with what they've got before you get there.
Also ask them if they're using signal wire or fiber optics (or wireless) to interface their equipment with the SCADA system so you know what they've got before you get there.
Good luck. The pay is usually good, but you're going to get call-outs in the middle of the night when critical systems hang-up.
Thank you. I should have plenty of time to research the system they have before i have to go near it because ill be sent to 2 years of schooling while working as an operator. I have minimal knowledge but im going to start studying now so i can atleast know something going in. Any good reading material you recommend on the subject?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
The generic stuff is generic. The concept of the 4-20ma feedback loop interfaced to the central computer system is industry standard. If you want to know what you're doing with the system you're supposed to work on, you need to know the specific instruments you'll work with.
I'm talking about the SCADA.
I don't know what you'll go to school for, but you'll need to learn magnetic flowmeters, turbine meters, valve positioners, differential pressure sensors, ... just a whole process control world in and of itself. And all of those instruments work basically the same, but each manufacturer has their own way of doing their instruments.
I might as well tell you now. Some places do water, and others do wastewater. If you're sensitive about smells and sanitation, realize the pay is good because most people don't want to work in that field.

Gemmahansley

Mar 3, 2023
Hey guys...
So I was offered a job as a Scada technician. I looked it up a little but I still dont know what a scada tech does...
Are there any scada techs on here? Or anyone that can better explain this field of work?
Huh, you got to read alot sir. But ild suggest to use frameworks that may help you graps whats required of you. Try read these frameworks on how they work, its easy, and fast to understand them
  • InduSoft Web Studio.
  • SIMATIC WinCC.
  • CIMPLICITY.

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
If you ever start your own plant working at someone elses might be small timing once uve overqualified yourself.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

For SCADA related questions you could have a look at our partner forum:

Also the wiki has some info on SCADA:

Closing this old thread.

Bertus

Status
Not open for further replies.