Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Saving ability for digital scale [A Question]

eric_s88

Apr 20, 2011
Hi everyone, I'm Eric, and I'm new here!
I'm planning to build a digital scale for my college project, I have the schematic for it, but I also want my scale have a memory to save weights!
I have no idea, can anybody help me in finding memory circuit schematic? should I use a shift register or..?
scale circuit information: 0~600g, using an ICL7107 as the ADC, use 4 seven segments for display to show the weight.
please HELP!
Thanks.
Eric.

rob_croxford

Aug 3, 2010
Do you want to save the weights in a look up table (for instance be able to scroll through recently used weights and give them names etc...) or simply save the last weight that was put onto the scales??

Do you have microcontroller experiance??

Is there a speciffic spec? (as it is a college project)

eric_s88

Apr 20, 2011
My priority is to simply save the last weight that was put onto the load cell, and If I achieve that later I would like to save wights in a look up table. No, I have no microcontroller experience yet, Whats your idea to do this without any micro?? :)
thank you for quick reply Rob :)

rob_croxford

Aug 3, 2010
Ok then i would use a shift register. You could construct this with D type Flip Flops.

Take a look at this site - http://www.allaboutcircuits.com
and look up shift registers.

There are various different types and way of constructing a shift register however as it is for a college project i will let you decide on the type and construction.

Come back here if u get stuck :)

eric_s88

Apr 20, 2011
Thank you man ;) I have made some research about shift registers, and I guess I should use a pipo type shift register. since the circuit have 4 seven segment it shoud use a 16 bit pipo shift register ( to save data in bcd codes ) .. am I right? and is there any IC to convert 7 segment to bcd codes? thank you again :)

rob_croxford

Aug 3, 2010
Yep that sounds about right - you are looking for a BCD Decoder. I think they come in a 14 pin package but i may be wrong.

comwell

Apr 14, 2012
Digital Scale

im Comwell planning to build a digital scale circuit on a pc board or breadboard but i dont have an idea where to start so i would like anyone who got an example of a digital scale built on breadboard or pc board even on a software to show me the schematic diagrams.