Connect with us

Sanwa N-501D

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Osmium, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Osmium

Osmium

Jan 28, 2013
    Picked up a Sanwa N-501D multimeter at a country market yesterday. Meter movement itself seems ok - but the instrument needs a bit of tlc.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone has any details about this model? Specs, user manual and so on. Google shows me some pictures but not a lot else.

There were apparently a number of models called N-501"something" - The N-501 used both a 1.5v battery and a 9v battery. Specs on another model indicate a 22.5v battery. My N-501D has space for a 9v but no connection and seems to indicate that only a single 1.5v battery is required.

Any help appreciated.

-Roy

2. quantumtangles

quantumtangles

Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  3. Osmium

Osmium

Jan 28, 2013
    Thank you, quantumtangles. It is a lovely meter.

The Japanese site suggests only 1 x 1.5v battery required. The English site says 3. My meter has space for 1 x 1.5v with connectors. Then a further space which would fit a 9v battery (as for the N-501) - but no connectors. I'll open it up on the weekend and check out what's going on battery-connector wise.

I was attracted by the case and then the words "taut band suspension" and 2uA full scale... nice engineering! Looking forward to bringing it back to fully operational. And I'll oil the wooden sides - should look terrific!

-Roy

4. Osmium

Osmium

Jan 28, 2013
    Curiouser and curiouser...

Opened up the meter and discovered a permanently installed (= soldered in) pair of batteries. AA size. In series. Markings all in Japanese, except for "2300" in bold across each. Measured around 2v on my Fluke for the series pair. I'm guessing they're dead - but no idea yet what they are supposed to be voltage-wise.

-Roy

5. Osmium

Osmium

Jan 28, 2013
    Then again, since the specs from the radiomuseum link indicate "3 x 1.5v" batteries, it's a fair bet that they are 1.5v types.

6. Osmium

Osmium

Jan 28, 2013
    I managed to obtain a user manual from the kind folks at Sanwa in Japan. It's in Japanese - but I'll work on that...

I extracted the schematic which is very useful:

[​IMG]

-Roy

7. quantumtangles

quantumtangles

Dec 19, 2012
    Thanks for posting the schematic.

These analogue multimeters are still uniquely useful because digital multimeters are useless in so far as transient fluctuations in voltage are concerned. The screen might just about flicker on a digital MM during a rapid voltage spike, but you really need an analogue MM needle to flick up and down to get any real idea of the scale of fluctuations in real time. At least that holds true in relation to the cheap DMMs that I use :D

Ask a Question