Connect with us

Sansui 5000a

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by steven t, Aug 20, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. steven t

steven t

Aug 20, 2013
    I bought the sansui 5000a new in 1971. Worked great until yesterday. Both the am and fm stopped working simultaneously. Dials work, lights work. The signal strength meter does not work. Looks like there is no output. Is the a common device like a fuse that has failed? Cd and record player systems work.

Thanks. Steve

2. elebish

elebish

Aug 16, 2013
    Sounds like a power supply problem. An open fuse or an open high wattage resistor (dropping or isolation) in the power supply near the filter caps. Could be an open power supply diode or look for a burned open trace on the board. If fuse if blown, the bridge PS diode is suspect (shorted). When replacing bad parts, be careful when turning unit back on. Something had to cause your problem. You'll need a schematic. Ed.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  3. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    Doesnt sound like a fuse has failed, if that were the case then no output would work, the fact that CD and record work but not raido leads me to believe it is something else.

It appears as though there are only two caps in the whole of the AM/FM portion, I would check those, you are going to have to look through the Multiplex Stereo (F-1006A) (NO 400) board.

Looking from above with the face towards you it is going to be the board all the way to the right towards the front of the unit.

4. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    One more opinion, check those big electrolytic caps in the power supply.
    I also have 1970's era stereo gear, and that's the only problem I've had with them (so far).

5. elebish

elebish

Aug 16, 2013
    I was assuming that the cd and record units were separate from the receiver. If they are, they have their own PS's. Ed.

Ask a Question