Connect with us

Sansui 5000a

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by chan, May 21, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. chan

chan

Feb 13, 2010
    I am a sole owner of a mint Sansui 5000A receiver and RA500 referb. An incredibly great unit. Never a problem. Treated like a baby.Only replaced 3 lamps over the years. I was wondering if the transformers and power switches can be interchanged between the 5000, 5000A and 5000X Sansui receivers. I would like to get an extra transformer just in case mine fries. Also, my power switch will only work if i hold it in- all other functions are working very well. Is there a simple fix to this switch problem. For the future, would it be worth it if i had a technician check the units for proper values and outputs. I would hate to mess with it if it is seemingly working fine though. I was thinking of purchasing a second unit for parts as my son would love to inherit them. Any advice. Thanks and best regards, chan. :D

2. Tesla

Tesla

May 10, 2010
    Wow, that is vintage :)

I still have a Sansui amp that is working (sounds nice), but mine looks like this one. Mine is a little newer (circa 1982) with the bright blue LED clock on the center panel (and a few more features). I'm not sure of the exact model because mine is boxed up in the garage.

http://www.oaktreevintage.com/web_photos/Stereo_Amps_Pre/Sansui_A-707_Integrated_Amp_web.jpg

On mine, the Speakers A button wouldn't stay depressed ... so I just started using Speakers B. Have you tried contact cleaner on your power switch? And if that doesn't work, some tuner lube?

I'm cleaning out my garage so I think mine is going to end up at Goodwill very soon now.

3. chan

chan

Feb 13, 2010
    responce to Tesla

Hi Tesla. I am about 20 years older than the amp so I am vintage as well.

Yes, I tried all sorts of sprays but the spring inside seems to be broke as the back end is broke out. Will need to be replaced if I can find one.

Can I suggest not throwing away your system. You would not believe how well all sorts of items sell on ebay. One guy may need a few parts out of your set.

Thanks for your responce.

Best regards, chan:D

4. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    I just Googled and found a rectangular power switch (among other things) for sale here.

5. chan

chan

Feb 13, 2010
    power switch

Hi Resqueline.

Thanks for your response. Found that parts set and web site myself a while back and found that my switch is round and there is not enough room for any other type of switch except round. Sansui must have redesigned one or more components in this area on the set allowing room for the rectangular switch.

Every once in while E-bay has complete 5000A sets for sale. In fact, 1 right now. A little pricey for a parts set but I may not have a choice. Will keep searching the world.

Thanks and best regards, chan. :D

6. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Tough luck..
    But try to snap a picture of the switch and post it here, if you have the facilities to do so. Just maybe someone will recognize it as being used in something else.

7. JimHarry

JimHarry

Oct 13, 2010
    Hi, new guy here...I have a Sansui 5000A (bought in Nam) with a modified 1040 board, the other channel is orginal and doesn't work...I also have a 5000X that I purchased several years ago on eBay with F6013 boards but one channel is out. Can I make one good unit? Any pitfalls? Open to any and all suggestions. thanks Jim

Ask a Question