Connect with us

Samsung TV wrong settings in service manu

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by HellasTechn, Sep 16, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    Good day dear friends.

A colleague of mine brought to me a Samsung TV model: LE40A536T1FXXH (from now on called "my tv")
    this tv when turned on would display weird colours for example black background was displayed purple. At first and after reading posts on the internet i thought that it would be a Tcon board problem (as15-f) so i ordered one on-line from china. In the meanwhile i came across a similar model tv with the same Tcon board. I thought i should swap cards to see what happes. Both cards didnt work on my tv (same display problem) but worked on the other tv. Bad luck huh ? then i thought that there must be something else wrong with my tv's main board. At that time i had the "brilliant" idea to mess with the service menu so with tv on standby i pressed Info + Menu + Mute + Power on the remote and service menu came up. I started messing with the MODEL and stored in memmory a different code that the original thinking that if that doesnt work i could go back and reset it.
    Now my tv when powered only displays vertical lines and i can no longer acces the service menu. To make matters worse i dont remember neither the factory setting nor the setting i saved.

On-line i found theese service menu codes

1) Mute + 1 + 8 + 2 + Power
    2) Display/Info + Menu + Mute + Power (THE ONE USED TO WORK)
    3) Display/Info + P.STD + Mute + Power
    4) P.STD + Help + Sleep + Power
    5) P.STD + Menu + Sleep + Power
    6) Sleep + P.STD + Mute + Power

Number 1, 2 dont work and for 3,4,5,6 buttons p.std, help and sleep are not present on my remote control.

Bottom line is that i am freaked out and if i dont come up with a way to fix or restore the tv i may have to pay for a new mainboard myself due to my stupidity...

That is what happens when you play it smart and mess with things you dont know.

Thank you !

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I just googled for "Samsung TV reset to factory defaults" and there seen to be quite a few hits that may have something helpful.

3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Westen illogic meets Far Eastern logic.
    I've worked (much to my annoyance), on some Samsung LE series TV's.
    Your original problem may have been a bad chip, but it could also have been a bad tint adjustment.
    I'd go with *steve*'s advice and Google the factory defaults for your model to get you back to square one.
    Buying a new board without identifying the issues may or may not work (depending on what the original problem was).
    I don't know what the costs are where you are, but if this gets too complicated, you might just buy a whole new TV.
    A lot of the issues I see with the Samsung LE' is the remote control itself.. Buttons stuck or needing cleaning.
    The second biggest problem I've found is bad Chinese capacitors of all types.
    I know this doesn't help much, but there's my 2-cents worth.
    Did you try emailing Samsung or one of their service centers to see if they can help?

4. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    Factory default does no good. I tried holding the exit key for 12 sec and then click left button and ok to factory reset but still the same. i can only see vertical lines no picture.

As far as i understand the problem is that the mainboard "thinks" is it communicating with different type of tcon and panel since i changed the model number in service menu.

I need to find a way to acces service menu again and change the model back to what it was...

I havent found a way to do that so far since the original code for service menu (info + Menu + Mute + Power) no longer works. Maybe the model code i have set uses a different code to acces the service menu. bad thing is that the rest of the codes are referring to remote controls with different buttons.

Maybe there is a way to access service menu from the side buttons on the tv ?

5. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    This TV is not mine and there is no way i could afford to buy a new one...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2015
  6. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    On-line support tells me to have my tv checked by samsung service center and i can not do that because they charge a fortune specially when you have messed with the circuit or the hidden menu.

7. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    one possible solution (although it's probably not feasible for a host of reasons) is to find another working model, remove the appropriate eeprom, read it, and use the values to reprogram yours.

8. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    I can not do that because i dont have the gear. Plus i have no idea which chip is responsible and i dont have any other tv of same model so...

9. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    I think you're just stuck in some service code mode. If you can't call Samsung and actually talk to somebody, or send them an email to tell them what happened and ask what to do about it, only trial and error is going to get you anywhere. I'd try again Googleing your model number with the symptom and see if somebody posted anything about your issue.
    I don't remember on the Samsung LE series, but some equipment I've worked-on have a small factory reset push-button on the main board.
    At the factory the tech inputs the signals to test the boards. Some just send a computer command to reset everything wihen they're done with their tests to reset defaults, but some older units have a reset push-button that they
    used after the test to reset defaults. It's a shot in the dark, but that's where you're at. If you have to enter some code to get out of the test mode you're in, you're only going to be able to do it with that exact code.
    I'd reword Google searches several different ways, looking for somebody who has seen your issue before, and has a solution to try.

10. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    Googling i came acros someone who had accidently deactivated the IR sensor and could not enter the service menu from the remote control. He said that by pressing Volume- , source or menu and power at the side of the TV he got into service menu. I will try that and see.

Factory reset from software sure does not solve the problem. I press exit on the remote for 15 seconds and then right and enter and i can tell it is running the factory reset by the blinking light and the fact that turns off right after that. Still factory reset does not affect service menu settings...

I am convinced that if i had the remote control of the model number i set in service menu i could gust enter one of the other codes i have posted before and i would be able to go in and change back to its original value.

what do you think ?

11. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    I don't know. What are the odds one of those universal-type remote controls might do it?
    The ones I bought come with a long list manual of all the different television set models. You find your model, and input the correct code to activate the remote for your model TV.

Ask a Question