Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Samsung TV power board help

chimp lad

Oct 15, 2014
Hi chaps, newbie here.
Was just wandering if anyone could help me identify a couple of parts on a TV power board.
There is a capacitor and what appears to be a fuse (it's basically a piece of wire) that have blown.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

20141015.jpg

[mod note: image upload fixed]

Last edited by a moderator:

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
That looks particularly bad. Those wires are not fuses, they are jumpers.
They are not meant to do that, and seeing that happen means that there is another potentially very bad problem with the board.
That would only be caused by excessive current draw from a short circuit somewhere or a bad component.
It could have also been caused if the jumper was degraded... but the rest of the board needs to be looked at regardless.

What is your experience with electronics?
I could recommend removing the board and getting a nice clear pick, but TV's in particular can hold a very large deadly charge in the capacitors on the board... If care is not taken you can seriously hurt yourself, even if the TV is not plugged in.

Edit: I wonder if the capacitor shorted to the jumper...

chimp lad

Oct 15, 2014
I used to repair 12v pcbs as a job so am pretty capable when it comes to multimeters and soldering irons.
My first thoughts were that it would have shorted on the power board as it went bang.
When I fetched the board out I found this. The board is mounted in the centre of the TV. I first thought it may have been a cat hair as the cat sleeps behind the TV a lot.
The TV itself is 7 years old.

chimp lad

Oct 15, 2014
Do you think just replacing them and seeing if it runs would be worth it? As said, I'm pretty convinced that it was shorted with cat hair.
I had a pc do the same on me a few years back.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi ya chimp lad
welcome to the forums :)

the chances are one of those transistors have failed as well

Dave

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Do you think just replacing them and seeing if it runs would be worth it? As said, I'm pretty convinced that it was shorted with cat hair.
I had a pc do the same on me a few years back.
You could give it a try, but I would definitely inspect the rest of the board(s) first just to make sure there is no other apparent damage.

chimp lad

Oct 15, 2014
Gryd3; I think I will try just replacing the two parts.
I'm going past RS components tomorrow. ..If I show them the bits would they know what to supply me?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
When looking at the transistors, the left most transistor could be damaged without any physical signs.
I'd take Dave up on the possible damage and grab one as well when you get parts.
If they can read the numbers on the capacitor then they can tell you the value and hopefully have a replacement.
The other one is a piece of wire.

chimp lad

Oct 15, 2014
The capacitor is covered in glue one side and black on the other.
It looks like I'm going to need to source a parts list from somewhere...just can't find one on the Internet anywhere for a LE32A456

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
I can't really make out what's happened in that first picture, but I've never heard of jumper wires just vaporising in the middle like that one seems to have done. Usually, tracks will vaporise first. Is it possible that something has leaked onto the jumper and caused it to corrode in the middle? Or is it possible that a mod was made to the board, and that jumper wasn't really a jumper? And what's that green thing below the jumper?

chimp lad

Oct 15, 2014
Hi Kris.
Definitely no mod...its the father in law's TV and he's had it since new.
It let out a loud bang apparently. ..I can imagine it did!
I'm still convinced that the capacitor and the jumper shorted as the capacitor leg was broken too.
I'm just at a loss of finding out what capacitor it is

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
It could have been a factory mod I suppose.

I doubt the capacitor would have broken, then moved and touched the jumper. I guess the capacitor could have exploded and taken out part of the jumper, but I would expect more damage to the PCB. It still seems mysterious to me.

If you can't find another set to copy, and you can't find service information, I'm not sure how to figure out what to replace it with :-(

chimp lad

Oct 15, 2014
I can buy the full power board replacement for 30 quid. Just pains me to when it will cost pence for this fix if it works.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Never seen any type of hair do that much damage.
Have however seen what a meter probe can do especially in the vicinity of a high voltage high capacity electro when shorted.