Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Samsung TV does not like free air signals

Rapidrob

Sep 12, 2016
I have a Samsung model LN22A330JD1 22" TV that is driving me nuts. It has worked for years on Sat TV signals and we went to free air local TV stations. No mater what type of antenna is used to pull in the stations with a clear view of the transmitting tower,the TV will show a clear with sound, image,make a grunting sound and show" Weak or no Signal". It does this every few seconds. The higher channels seem to be better than 2-7. I have moved the TV to other rooms and it does the same thing. I have moved it OUTSIDE and it does the same thing.
My wife wrapped the antenna "ears: in tin foil and it did help but if you stand near the TV or walk around the TV the image crashes instantly and the error is displayed.
My other TV is also a Samgsung and it is blocked from the transmitting tower in the back of the house and it works just fine.
Do I have a tuner problem or could there be a bad connection at the back of the input connection going to the guts?
All of the cables from the amplified antenna are new and have been swapped with working cables from the other TV with no change in the reception. Two other antennas have been tried,same thing.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
If you have a clear view of the transmitter tower perhaps you have excessive signal at the antenna input. I've never heard of this causing problems, but perhaps the input stage is saturating/overloading? Do you get reception with no antenna at all?

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Aiming a TV antenna yields the most unpredictable results in the word on RF/electronics, to the point of a coat hanger under your bed being capable of producing better reception than a fancy roof antenna. Plus Samsung building cheaper tuner modules because most people connects them to higher level cable signals.

Swap the two TVs location and confirm TV/location impairments.