Maker Pro
Maker Pro

SamSung DLP Ballast Test?

samsungjf

Dec 14, 2010
Hi,
First off I have some electronics experience but it has been years so please bare with me. I have a Samsung DLP HLN5065wx. The lamp was shattered. I have a new lamp which still doesn't light. I have started to troobleshoot the ballast board.
From the power board I'm getting 382v which is suppose to be correct. I was wondering is there any test with continuity while the board is removed from the TV that I can perform to show whether or not the board is bad?

Power up sequence I see a barrel shaped component that looks like a cap but I'm sure it's not. It glows blue during startup. It seems to be some kind of starter for the lamp.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jerry

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
That component is a gas-discharge tube (often used for overvoltage protection). Here however it's used much in the same way a fluorescent tube starter works.
I believe it should flash, not glow continously. There may be a capacitor not discharging through the starter transformer. Look for breaks in pcb tracks.

samsungjf

Dec 14, 2010
That component is a gas-discharge tube (often used for overvoltage protection). Here however it's used much in the same way a fluorescent tube starter works.
I believe it should flash, not glow continously. There may be a capacitor not discharging through the starter transformer. Look for breaks in pcb tracks.

Sorry I stated it wrong. It didn't glow it made 3 zap noise with the flashing during startup.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Ok, it does what it's supposed to then. I don't know any brand/model specifics, but scour the net and triple check that there are no subtle differences about the lamp(s).
I've read about people having had problems with different versions of the same lamp having different spec's and some therefore being impossible to ignite in some sets.