Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sailor needing advice

ron7546

Apr 22, 2011
Hi All
New to this forum.I am starting a project which more than likely is very simple to those "into" electronics. I will try to simplifily what I want to accomplish.I own a 27ft. sailboat and want to play music from my ipod thru a PA horn up on the mast, 2speakers in the cabin and 2 speakers in the cockpit.At this point I have no radio on the boat and could add some type of AM-FM unit with aux input( don,t need a CD player).I presently have a PA horn and not sure of the specs of the horn. (I think 4 ohm- 15w )I won`t be home until tomorrow.
The part that stumps me is,Do 12v radios come with a speaker selection switch or is there a seperate module avaliable to select defferent speaker combinations.I want the music to be as loud as possible thru the horn but "easy listening" thru the other speakers.
Thanks in advance
Ron

dsiddens

Apr 23, 2011
Ron, my first thought about the PA horn playing as loud as possible is that my boat is far away from your boat. Sound travels very well over water. But maybe I'm not thinking well. Can you tell me how this is going to make for safer boating? Yes, you can find switch boxes of varying sophistication and cost, some which will work on 12v. You might google "speaker selector switch".

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
I think what you're looking for is an audio distribution amp. Use Google and look at various products.

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
I think what you need is 2 car stereos. You could wire both inputs parallel, and adjust each volume control separately.

mechtronics

Aug 7, 2011
to make the speakers easy listening while turned up make sure that your speakers have good rms wattage. and as said previosly two car stereos would do the job.