Connect with us

Safely working with abs box or what other plastic

Discussion in 'Project Construction Technologies' started by Protoncub, Dec 3, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Protoncub

Protoncub

Dec 3, 2018
    i am using Arduino to make electronic projects. I have several projects with 16x2 lcds and wanted to cut abs project boxes to fit the display. I am one of the worlds worst person with tools so I have a hard time cutting the proper size. I was going to laser cut the rectangle for the lcd to fit in and found out that using a laser on abs was extremely dangerous. So is using a dremel tool with a high speed cutting wheel dangerous as well since heat is created as well. Are there plastic boxes available that can be laser cut without producing a dangerous fume?

Thanks

2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Like yourself I've found difficulty getting a clean, straight cut on box cut-outs so now make the cutout 'about' the right size then use a piece of thin black card which I cut using a modelling blade (very sharp, straight, neat edge) and put that over the cut-out in the box and then fit a clear plastic 'lens' over the lot.

This also allows you to print text on the card (if you need to) and makes for a very professional finish. All the manufacturers do this too although they still make the cutout 'neat and tidy'!

3. Protoncub

Protoncub

Dec 3, 2018
    Thanks for the reply. I have been researching this and think I have a solution. I will report back when I have an answer

Ask a Question