Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Safe to plug monitor into laptop through 2nd monitor?

Leficent

Mar 12, 2018
Am I able to plug a dell laptop into my laptop by plugging it into a benq monitor? I have the benq already plugged into my laptop and want to know if I can plug another monitor into it to have 3 monitors. Is this safe?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Am I able to plug a dell laptop into my laptop by plugging it into a benq monitor? I have the benq already plugged into my laptop and want to know if I can plug another monitor into it to have 3 monitors. Is this safe?

Ummm .... does you laptop have outputs for 2 monitors ?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
nope!
Monitors may have more than one video input for ease of use or flexibility... but they are inputs only.
Combinations of VGA, DVI, HDMI and Display Port are common.

Additionally, laptop video connectors are typically only outputs and cannot be used as an input.

The only way to get 3 monitors on a single laptop is to use an add-on video card (USB or other...) usually only good enough for office stuff, not gaming. Some laptops offer a 'dock' with additional video outputs which can be used for more than one external monitor.
If you don't want to use hardware, there are software solutions...
You can use something like Synergy > https://symless.com/synergy
This does not offer a true 'multi-monitor' setup, because the second laptop will still function independently, but you can control it from a single keyboard and mouse simply by moving the mouse off the edge of your laptop screen and it will show up on the secondary laptop. Windows *cannot* be dragged between windows. This is more like hybrid between 'remote desktop' and 'multi-monitor'
Other options can be covered here : https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/use-laptop-like-external-monitor/

If you want to be able to drag your windows from one screen to another... the only thing I can readily think of is:
- Install and setup a 'virtual monitor'
- setup VLC or teamviewer on the second laptop.
- Login to your primary laptop and select your 'virtual monitor' to display.

Maybe there's readily made software to do the second half... otherwise stick to mouse without boarders or something.