Connect with us

S.N.A.P. (protocol)

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Left_Jab, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Left_Jab

Left_Jab

Jul 16, 2011
    Hi,

I would like to know which protocols are being used nowadays with the transceiver HopeRF RFM12 (not 12b).

Also, please let me know whether SNAP (Scalable Node Address Protocol) is still a popular choice or not, as it was developed quite a few years (more than a decade) ago.

Thanks!

2. poor mystic

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
    Here is electronics.point's standard first response to all queries: Google It.
    So I had a look on google (search term "HopeRF RFM12")

Looks like S.N.A.P disappeared without trace but Hope is still there, with its own website.
    If only a few more of the virtues could be represented but I only seem to find Greed Greed and Greed. Ahh what would life be without hope.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  3. Left_Jab

Left_Jab

Jul 16, 2011
    Thanks for the reply.

In my question (above), I did not mention the specifications of the device I am using: it runs on 433 MHz and uses FSK (actually, as you might also know, the device apparently runs at other frequencies as well but I intend to use it at 433MHz).

So what I'd like to know is whether a protocol exists for any device having these particular specifications.

4. poor mystic

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
    There do seem to be lots of chips designed for a 433MHz FSK protocol of one kind or another. There are plenty of 433Mhz FSK systems manufactured too.
    In its specifications for such a protocol the CCIR has doubtless defined data rates (which determine bandwidth and hence wideband noise coming from the system) but I haven't looked that deep.

I imagine that you want to build a link using your transceiver. Is this correct?

5. Left_Jab

Left_Jab

Jul 16, 2011
    I plan to use the transceiver in a wireless mesh network.

My objective is that the system should be compatible with other devices (in other words I'm looking for interoperability).

Therefore, I want to implement a protocol that's already being used for 433MHz FSK devices.

6. poor mystic

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
    The chip manufacurers promise both narrow and wide-band FSK at a wide range of frequencies; their chips do look very flexible. That might be either promising or disheartening depending on your point of view.
    Probably people just consider the radio link as any other data link and use the same error detection and correction they're already using - X25 or something closely related for most systems I think.

Maybe we need to clarify what's wanted.
    1) Let's say that Codes are bearer level information exchange methods.
    2) Protocols are frame level.
    3) Formats are application level.
    Which of these 3 do you want to know about, please?

Ask a Question