Connect with us

RTCC on PIC can count to 6 years?

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by eem2am, Nov 18, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. eem2am

eem2am

Aug 3, 2009
    How long a pulse does it need for interrupt?

I am using the PIC24FJ64GA004 with a 32.768KHz external oscillator.

I want to have an interrupt..... the pin will go from high to low for just 3us...then back to high again.....and i am hoping that the pic will "see" this 3us low pulse and go to interrupt routine.

Is this possible?.....if not, then how long would the low pulse have to last to make it possible?

PIC24FJ64GA004 DATASHEET:
    http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/39881D.pdf

2. eem2am

eem2am

Aug 3, 2009
    Hello,

I need to select a PIC for an emergency light......it must do various levels of automatic battery tests depending on how many years of operation have elapsed.

So can the RTCC on the PIC24FJ64GA004 do timing over this long period?

PIC24FJ64GA004 datasheet:
    http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/devicedoc/39881b.pdf

3. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Table 18 on page 174 shows the RTCC register mapping. A "year" value is provided so it should be no problem to fulfill your requirement.

Note that I've taken that information from the datasheet only - I'm not familiar with the PIC series.
    Harald

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    In the end regardless of the micro limitations for any particular function, you can do A LOT of work around stuff using a little bit of the built in EEPROM for flagging time lapse periods... You could easily map out years (albeit limited perfect accuracy) of timed operations in EEPROM on even a small featureless micro by just counting small time periods and painting the clock/time hash marks in the EEPROM with each passing period...

Ask a Question