Connect with us

rs flip flop to run 5v relay

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by porkwrap, Feb 23, 2014.

1. porkwrap

porkwrap

Feb 23, 2014
    I have limited knowledge of electronics, trying to add some animations to a train set.
    I need a rs flip flop circuit that will power a 5V relay, I've built two circuits, 1 using a 4011 chip and 1 using a 7476 chip both work to the volt meter pushing out 5v but when hooking up to a relay they either wont turn it on or wont hold on, I don't understand why, and if there is an easier way I'm up for it, just need a circuit that when a button is pushed it will power a 5v or 12v relay until it receives a reset signal from a counting circuit.

Thankyou for any help that can be provided

Mike

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You need to use the output of the chip to drive a transistor which will handle the greater current required by the relay.

Look here. The circuit you want is figure A.

Depending where you are, a 2N2222, or a BC548 will be fine as the transistor and the base resistor can be 1k

3. porkwrap

porkwrap

Feb 23, 2014
    Thank you Steve i will get a transistor and build it, ill let you know if it works

thank you again

mike

4. porkwrap

porkwrap

Feb 23, 2014
    is there a certain diode to use

thanks again
    mike

5. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Sure, use a 1N4001.

6. porkwrap

porkwrap

Feb 23, 2014
    Steve sorry for the long delay, had to order parts. but I just got this to work

Thank you very much

Mike

7. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Excellent, congratulations.

Ask a Question