Connect with us

rpm counter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by tedstruk, Nov 20, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. tedstruk

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
    I was told that all LED displays are primarily the same, and as long as I have the processor that fires its display, that I cold use it to build a signal counter. I want to build a signal counter to count field coil pulses from a crank shaft. but the stuff I have to build it with is "state of the art", and is so complex that I shudder when I think about having to retrofit it. signal processors aren't hard to build though, and so I would like to give it a try, even if I only use LEDs to identify the pulses. The coils are center tapped magnetic, and are fired when the crank passes them

2. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Can you elaborate on what you want to actually build?
    An LED display could be graphical, or could be a few segments...
    Additionally, if you shared more details we may be able to set you on a path that isn't so fraught with nightmarish retro-fitting.

3. tedstruk

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
    I have an salvaged LED display that I want to build a sensor readout from.
    I have a set of field coils on an oriental motorcycle and I want to be able to read the signals that I get when the I crank the engine over. The 4 sends are each one side of a center tapped coil and there are 2 coils, each has 2 sends, and the common of each is spliced into the center tap. The signal is generated by an inset magnet in the flywheel on the engine. My upload isn't working too... thats going to make this project really complex huh...

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    what sort of LED display show a pic and any info written on the display please

5. tedstruk

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
    Its out of a JVC DVD recorder that went fritz

6. tedstruk

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
    upload started working

Attached Files:

7. tedstruk

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
    pinouts of the counter readout.

Attached Files:

8. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    Sir tedstruk . . . . .

Thats using a rom / mask programmed U/P with basic display orientation towards time info as HRS:MIN:SECS
    also ALPHANUMERIC DISPLAY and finally a counter capability of 999.
    All of these being separately partitioned, so I don't think you will be using this unit for what you are wanting to do UNLESS having 95 % of the ancillary proccessing apart from this unit and ONLY using this unit for its display interfacing.

Perchance should this " foreign " relate to the foreign . . .Yamaha . . . . . cycle . . . .a . . .la . . .V15 . OR a . . .1983 Yamaha Venture Royale XVZ12TDK . . . . . . and have you even gone back and read my added writeup of :

https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/old-expired-83-brain-needs-rework.281323/#post-1713876

as its POST # 19

73's de Edd

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2016
  9. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    That isn't a LED display, it's a VFD, Vacuum Fluorescent Display ... will be VERY difficult to try and make work

10. tedstruk

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
    I have never heard of a VFD before.....
    No wonder I was confused.
    There are some LEDS on the board, I suppose I could use them in a simple rotational trigger pattern, based on signal?
    er uhm..
    Do you have any use for it?

11. tedstruk

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
    this unit probably failed cause I figured out how the LED worked...

Ask a Question