Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Rooting PCB tracks under SMD inductor?

eem2am

Aug 3, 2009
hello,

do you think its ok to root pcb tracks under this sepic inductor?

MSD7342 SEPIC INDUCTOR DATASHEET:
http://www.coilcraft.com/pdfs/msd7342.pdf

(i.e. route between the pads on the same side of the board as the inductor is mounted on.)

-or wll the track be shorted by the underside of the inductor?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I think you mean "route". Where I come from, rooting and routing are very different activities :D

The short answer is "almost certainly". The underside of most SMD parts are either insulated or stand clear from the board. Those that are not typically have notes to that effect in their documentation. I can't point to one off the top of my head, but some chips have a large pad under the die which is either used for enhanced heatsinking, or grounding. But these will always be shown on the pad layout.

In your case it is highly unlikely that you cannot route tracks under the inductor. Just ensure that any clearances required for high voltages etc are maintained.

Have a look at one just to be doubly sure.

Other issues might include pickup of noise, etc. But you'd have to give us a lot more information to figure that out. Are you making a buck/boost SMPS?

eem2am

Aug 3, 2009
hi, thanks, its a sepic, there wasnt much room so i routed the trak from the line-side inductor to the fet drain by going under the inductor itself..........some ground returns also go under the inductor body and i wondered if these might short to the drain tracks , since, these tracks are directly under this inductor , on the same side of the board.