Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Room Noise Sensor

sweeptin

Apr 3, 2013
Hi All

I'm completely new to electronics and looking for some advice / help. I work as a Social Worker supporting a couple with Learning Disabilities. They are currently arguing a lot and are possibly going to loose there house because of the noise they make. Yes I am trying to work with them and the staff supporting them to resolve the things that annoy them but could do with some visual help for them to understand when they are being to loud.

I have considered using a normal baby monitor but most only go up to 35 db. Looking on Youtube I have seen a few guys set up a sensor connected to a VU display on which the sensitivity can be adjusted. You can also purchase things that are already made up but these are set up for industry and cost over £300.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Sweeptin :)

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I love this circuit for audio detection...

http://www.vellemanusa.com/products/view/?country=us&lang=enu&id=350678

Of course there are others out there, but I have found this particular circuit to be very reliable and adjustable...

Position it and adjust it and it will give a visual indication when there is too much noise, and due to it's low cost you can have multiple units placed in different locations...

And of course if the desire is there you can expand upon this circuit if you have the skills or know someone that does... I can envision a quick and dirty mod would be to remove the LEDs and use it to trigger a xenon flash tube, something that would be obvious to an entire room no matter where you are looking...