Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Rock Band/Guitar hero drum pedal issue

badger_

Mar 3, 2011
Hello there!

I'm wondering if someone could help me adapt a circuit from this website:

http://imakeprojects.com/Projects/rock-band-dual-bass-drums-controller/

This circuit takes an off/on signal from two Rock Band drum pedals and, essentially, allows them to NOT block one another if one of the pedals is down. These pedals work by magnetic switch.

Unfortunately, I need this circuit to work with the Guitar Hero pedal, which works with a piezoelectric sensor which, from what I can tell, outputs a small voltage spike when the pedal is pressed.

Does anybody have any idea how I can modify the circuit to accept the sensor inputs and still produce the circuit's output?

OR

Can I change the sensor output to create an on/off signal the circuit can use?

THANK YOU BIG TIME IN ADVANCE!!

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
The pulse coming out of pin 4 will have a duration on the order of 0.1 second. So the microswitch in the pedal will need to stay closed for at least 0.1 second. However, a piezoelectric sensor will have a resonant frequency near 3 kHz so the output pulse will likely have a duration much shorter than 0.1 second. Also, peak voltage output of the pulse from the sensor may be much higher than 5 volts. I would replace the RC/Schmitt trigger combination with a 555 monostable to generate the 0.1 second pulse to operate the relay, and give some attention to clamping the input voltage received from the sensor.