Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Robot parts

kcoer

Dec 20, 2013
I have a little experience with Object-C, electronics and some mechanics/physics. Now I am set off to build the ambitiabot. I plan on spending LESS than 200$ as well. Now, to gather up the parts...

Treads and wheels - I thought about using bicycle chains ,but the chains I had were a bit too heavy and clumsy. The treads need to be able to climb steps or steep 50 degree hills. Where or how could I buy or make these. How would I go about making them or buying them custom. No bigger than 70cm long and about 7cm wheels.

Base - the base needs to be thick plastic or medium width metal( 4mm ) in the shape of two sides with a trapezoid sides( the sides the treads will go on ) measuring around a 75 centimeters long, With a width of 25cm. Yes, very specific measurements, I want to make the bot perfect and filled with features thus the name abitiabot. Time isn't a problem for me.

Motor/Gears/shaft - The motor shouldn't be too much of a problem
to find, but gears are. Should I use metal gears or plastic gears? What size motor should the bot need. I need big torque, speed isn't a concern, maybe a top speed of 10kmps. Please factor in power consumption when making suggestions.

Anyone know where to buy all of these? All feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:

kcoer

Dec 20, 2013
Yes, for the electronical components those sites are great. As for what I was asking, there was nothing I saw. I use allelectronics but not weirdstuff. I was looking for custom treads, not the actual electronics. I can't find gears, shafts, or treads anywhere!

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
I Googled robotics parts. Each of the first three hits has at least some of the things you want.