Connect with us

Roberts Revival - is it broken????

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by PtotheK, Nov 18, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. PtotheK

PtotheK

Nov 18, 2012
    Hello all, I'm new here and have a quick question about a DAB I just bought. I bought a Roberts Revival DAB from Ebay and I'm not sure if it's broken. It doesn't have an adapter so I bought some batteries to test it out. I bought the cheapest D batteries in Maplin. The radio turns on and tunes in etc perfectly but it's super quiet. Even with the volume on full and your ear right up to the speaker it's quieter than a whisper (it's just as quiet with headphones plugged in too!). Could this simply be because I've used cheap batteries or do you think it's broken? The adapters are about £10 and I didn't want to buy one if it's broken (I'd have to order one from the net as well as they need 7v 800mA DC which is hard to buy), I'd just send it back as faulty. Any ideas? Also if it is broken does it sound like an easy fix. Cheers guys!

2. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Check the battery voltage when operating the set, perhaps you have one of more faulty cells. Note that a DAB set is fairly thirsty.

7V seems a strange voltage, 4 alkaline cells would give about 5V so a 6V supply should be OK.

3. PtotheK

PtotheK

Nov 18, 2012
    I managed to find a suitable adapter but there is still almost zero volume. Could it be the amp that's gone? If so is this a big fix?

4. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    The tuner works, so your radio works.
    I'm not familiar with that brand, but it sure sounds like your output amplifier is not
    working.
    You sound like you're not a do-it-yourselfer electronics type.
    If Duke37's checks don't help, yeah, I'd use the ebay return policy.

5. PtotheK

PtotheK

Nov 18, 2012
    I sent it back. Thanks for the input :)

Ask a Question