Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ring doorbell mains power

Jonnystuart

Sep 16, 2017
Hi.

Was wondering if anyone could shed any light on this as I've rang a few electricians in my area and no one seems to know how to install a ring doorbell off the mains without an existing doorbell in place. My aim is to get all the information and get my usual electrician to do the install.

Ill need to purchase a transformer (probably this http://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-8-24v-8a-bell-transformer-module/8707p) this will sit in the consumer unit in the garage. I believe I also need a resistor for between the transformer and the doorbell as per these instructions https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/a...-Transformer-Without-a-Pre-existing-Doorbell- (probably this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...d+Resistor&dpPl=1&dpID=415aRCUbjuL&ref=plSrch).

Now the question is how does it all go together?

TIA

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Sounds an expensive set-up :eek:.
Coincidentally, last week I decided to convert my doorbell from battery to mains, as I was fed up with the frequent/expensive battery replacements. My bell is a wireless one (cost around £7), the receiver requiring 3 'C'-size alkaline cells originally. I put a couple of brass screws into a block of wood sized to fit in the battery compartment of the receiver, so that the screws provided +ve and -ve contacts to the circuit, and connected the screws to the stripped end of a USB cable. I now power the cable from a USB 5V wall-wart (spare cell-phone charger). The transmitter has a small 12V battery which needs replacing after about a year, but that's no bother. The receiver doesn't seem to mind that it's now got 5V instead of the original ~4.5V (4.8V from fresh batteries).

Edit: Just realised that 'ring' is a brand name and your set-up includes video, so apologies as my post is not relevant to that.

Last edited:

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Do you have a link to the datasheet/spec of the doorbell itself; particularly the input voltage and current requirements? Having to use a 24V transformer and a chunky resistor seems wasteful if a lower voltage supply will suffice.

Irv

Jun 7, 2017
All the info anyone would need is right there in the link. The only other thing your electrician would need to know would be local codes regarding low-voltage wiring. Here, the mains side of the bell transformer would mount directly to the *outside* of the mains box, with the low voltage connections out in the open, from which plain wire could be connected and run by anybody, no license required. This is so that there can be no chance that a l-v wire might somehow come in contact with mains voltage and electrocute the next person ringing your bell. Chances are your regulations have some similar provision.

scottyb

Mar 21, 2019
Fast forward and RING doorbell compatible transformers available on Amazon for $15. They send 16v safely to the bell/camera. The Ring DB does best on 16-24v. I'm installing the pro model with no battery. Bell has 2 terminals, no polarity marked, you choose. The resistor shown in the readily found support document is also found on Amazon $8 for 2. Pricey but its an odd unit needed only if using a transformer without current limiting.
I'm using a bluetooth door chime from Ring.
I hope this helps

Last edited:

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Scotty, this thread died over a year ago.
Welcome to EP!

scottyb

Mar 21, 2019
I saw that - but I ended here after much searching for the answer to this question... so thought I would post the answer I found for others. Lots of mis-information on you-tube about this bell. Thanks for the welcome