Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ring Doorbell & Bosch Wifi Thermostat issues

Rossk

Feb 25, 2019
Hi

I have a strange set of recurring issues with electronic devices connected to my mains power. I am not from an electronics background so the following will sound very amateur, but posting nevertheless through sheer desperation!

Ring Doorbell

I have been through 4 different Ring Video doorbells and they have broken one after the other. I started off just using the battery pack and charging it (i.e. not directly linking the device to the mains)

1) Doorbell is installed on the wall. The battery pack is plugged into the wall to charge (I have USB ports on my sockets). The device works after a number of charges and then stops working. When the second device arrived i suspected an issue with plugging the device to the mains socket USB port and only charged it via another USB charger and had the same problem.
2) Behaviour when it stops working - device is completely bricked. No lights light up on the device at all. Resetting the device has no affect - cannot reconfigure the wifi settings etc.

I then got my electrician to install the replacement unit properly, via a doorbell transformer. The doorbell transformer put out 15vAC which is in line with the ring documentation (8-24v AC). The scenario is then:

1) Device is installed and works for a period of time (1st one for about a month and the replacement only lasted a few hours)
2) Behaviour when it stops working - device becomes completely unresponsive although one of the lights remains on while it's still hardwired to the doorbell transformer.

I thought that this may be down to power surges or spikes, so the last unit I got from Ring was connected to the mains via a good quality surge protector and this still faulted in the same way.

I had my house completely rewired around 6 months ago, this was all undertaken by a fully qualified electrician. He has been round an reassured me that this is not going to be due to a problem with the rewire as the RCD unit is not tripping or showing any faults.

Worcester Bosch Easycontrol Thermostat

This device was installed by a fully qualified Worcester Bosch Engineer. I have now had three different units which have all lasted for a couple of weeks and then faulted in the same way.

The Easy Control Thermostat draws power from the boiler via a wire from the Thermostat unit to the boiler. It then connects to a server on the internet via WiFi and you configure the heating schedule using an app.

Scenario when it breaks:
The unit is installed and works for a few weeks then for no apparent reason it disconnects from Wifi. When you look at the display on the unit it indicates that Wifi is disconnected, but works in all other ways (i.e. you can still manually change the central heating from the device).
When you try to search for available Wifi networks none are found whatsoever. When the new device is installed it finds 10/15 available networks as I am in quite a built up area, but after it faults 0 are detected. I complete all steps to hard reset the unit according to the Bosch technical support but nothing works and they have to send round an engineer to replace the device for a new one.

After the last one broke I got my electrician to put the boiler (where the thermostat gets power from) on a surge protect plug, but this has not made any difference.

Any thoughts on what could be damaging these devices are gratefully received. Other than the devices mentioned about other electronics in the house are working okay (e.g. routers, tv's, phones charging via usb ports on sockets)

Thanks
Ross

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
What is the percentage of air humidity ? Maybe that is one factor that causes the problems but what can we say? there may be other also. Mains power is not aways to blame.

Rossk

Feb 25, 2019
Inside the house, where the thermostat is located the percentage humidity is usually between 45% and 55%.

I’m not sure about the exterior of the property where the ring doorbell is located. I live in London so not extremely humid

Thanks

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
Well 45%-55% is normal. I dont know what to say...

P.S. the surge protector does not really do anything apart from cutting the circuit in case of over voltage (300V or more). If i where you i would check the mains with an oschilloscope for excessive noise. I happen have one because i repair audio amps.
Other than that, i dont know.

doorbellissues

Oct 17, 2019
Hi
One Solution for all your Ring doorbell Problems .This one website doorbelltroubleshooting.com . Here you can find all the troubleshooting solutions regarding your Ring Doorbell.
thank me later.

majoco

Nov 10, 2019
From this:

When you try to search for available Wifi networks none are found whatsoever. When the new device is installed it finds 10/15 available networks as I am in quite a built up area, but after it faults 0 are detected.

...I suspect that it's not the thermostat and it's WiFi transmitter at fault, it's the device you are using to pick up the WiFi signal as it is not picking up any of the signals that were there originally, not just your thermostat signal.