Connect with us

ribbon cable repair

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by Jeff Dieterle, Apr 10, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Need to repair a Mylar type ribbon cable that's split. It's not the wire
    conductor type but the flat stuff with what appears to be a carbon film for
    conductors. My only though is to attach male/female connectors to both cut
    ends because it's cut too short to re-terminate. I'm not sure what this type
    of 13 conductor ribbon cable is called so I don't know where to start
    hunting for connectors....... thanks for any help
  2. John Fields

    John Fields Guest

    It's called flat-flexible or flat-flex or film cable.

    Check this out:|categoryNodeName=FLEX

    If the link wraps, go here:,1577673&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL&language=EN

    and navigate the menu.

    I think AMP (Tyco) also makes essentially the same thing.

    I think you'll have trouble finding mating males, but if you're
    lucky and the pitch conductor pitch is right, (I'm guessing 0.1")
    you'll be able to use two females and insert a 13 pin male-male
    header between them.
  3. Lord Garth

    Lord Garth Guest

    I have repaired such cables using conductive ink. Be careful, the product
    spreads easily, shorting adjacent conductors.

    The result is not as flexible so if the cables is flexing in normal
    operation, it
    would be best to replace it with a new cable.
  4. The cable doesn't flex so conductive ink might work. I checked Kester's web
    page and came up with their item called

    Copper/silver filled adhesive p/n 53-4300-1002 in a 6oz package

    is that what your referring to ?

    thanks jeff
  5. Lord Garth

    Lord Garth Guest

    The product I use was called 'Silver Print" by GC Electronics (I think).
    I've had it a large number of years but it is still in solution though you
    must stir it before use.

    When my application spread over three conductors, I waited for the
    product to cure then I used an X-Acto knife with a #16 blade to scrape
    it out of the space between conductors.

    Good luck with your repair, mine is still operational after 10+ years.
  6. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    When my application spread over three conductors, I waited for the
    Yeah, but what do you do if you're missing a chunk of mylar flexie?
    That's a good record...
  7. Lord Garth

    Lord Garth Guest

    You can fill it with epoxy first. Put tape on the conductor side and apply
    the epoxy from the back. You might use automotive body filler instead.
    That's 'Bondo' to you and me.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day