Connect with us

RGB problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Raul27, Jul 30, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Raul27

Raul27

Jul 30, 2017
    Hey, I don't know much about electronics but I'm having trouble with my RGB lights, the controller doesn't switch the lights like it should do, you can see more on the video:
    Could the problem be that the black wire doesn't fully go to the hole or w.e it is?

2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    You tell us! MAKE the wire(s) go in the hole properly and see what happens.

Until the wires ARE properly inserted there's no point in assuming there's any other fault.

3. Raul27

Raul27

Jul 30, 2017
    The thing is the black wire doesnt fit into the holes, I dont know why. Any suggestions?

4. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    It's not meant to.

The stripped back part (copper wire) is the bit that goes in - ideally those bare wires would be fitted with the matching plug - so strip some insulation off the wire, fold/twist the copper wire around itself and ...jam it in there......!

Alternatively, cut the connector off and just twist/solder/chocbloc/crimp etc the wires together directly.

5. Raul27

Raul27

Jul 30, 2017
    I meant it as the copper wire is too big, is there any way I can make it thinner?

6. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    The copper isn't too big (as far as I can tell in your video - post a close-up picture of the wire ends). You seem to be pushing the INSULATION into the end of that plug - you did it with the R, G and B wires - and the insulation is holding the actual wire cores in the socket. The 'black' wire, being slightly wider, obviously won't go in and fit the socket hole.

7. Raul27

Raul27

Jul 30, 2017
    Thats the furthest the black "copper" part goes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    The black wire may have a surplus of solder making it slightly wider than normal or the socket may have an obstruction in it however the wires really should be fitted with the correct plug to match the socket.

9. Raul27

Raul27

Jul 30, 2017
    Do you think if I could fit the black wire in the socket the remote and the lights would work correctly? Because I've tried, the black wire only works in one hole and without the black wire the lights won't work.

10. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    The black wire is ESSENTIAL for operation......

Is there something wrong with your getting the proper plug for it? If you want it 'hard wired' (i.e. permanently connected) then you could chop off the socket, strip the cable back and solder the connections together.

11. Raul27

Raul27

Jul 30, 2017
    When all the wires are connected, It only shows green and yellow, when I unplug them and only connect blue - black I get blue, red - black I get red but I'd like to use my remote to change colors, not changing wires. Any suggestions?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  12. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Just a thought..... there are two types of RBG ribbon you can get, common cathode and common anode.

The control box should match the version you have - I suspect you have the wrong one.

13. Raul27

Raul27

Jul 30, 2017
    What box would you suggest me to order?

14. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    The 'other one'....... :rolleyes:

I don't know which tape you have - equally I don't know which controller you have. Only you can tell.

Check FIRST which makes/models of each that you DO have - I'm only suggesting the common anode/common cathode issue as a likely reason for it not working. It may be there IS an actual fault but until you clarify the CA/CC issue we'll never know.

Ask a Question