Connect with us

RF related queries

Discussion in 'Radio and Wireless' started by Anish, Mar 13, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Anish

Anish

Feb 5, 2011
    Hi, long time...
    I have some RF related queries.
    I recently assembled a mobile phone detector circuit which detects the mobile phone when texting, calling/receiving. According to the description given by the author of circuit, its range is 1.5meters.
    1. When I assembled the circuit on a solderless breadboard, I got range for about 10 to 20 meters. But when i soldered that circuit, I get barely one meter range why is this so? are the extra wires and bread board tracks increasing the range?

2. I did a pcb for the mobile bug and the range still decreased. I assembled as per the instructions given.

3. The circuit uses a opamp CA3130 but when I replace it with 741, it works even better in soldered pcb but doesnot work in breadboard?

These questions are puzzling me. I can't get answers anywhere. also, how can I increase the range of the circuit when i soldered it on the general purpose perf board? keeping a long antenna doesnot help.? do i need to do a precise antenna design?
    I am not well with antenna design and RF.

Here is the circuit of the mobile detector :
    http://www.electronicsforu.com/elec...le.asp?sno=429&article_type=1&id=412&tt=unhot

Thankyou,
    Anish

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Did you read this part:

When you soldered it to the breadboard did you leave the leads to the capacitor at 18mm?

Bob

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  3. Anish

Anish

Feb 5, 2011
    Hi Bob,

What do you mean by "soldered" it to the "breadboard"? I only assembled in the bread board
    When i soldered it to the perf board, i kept exactly as told in the description since the cap acts as a loop antenna and is the key component of the module. (8x18mm)

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Okay, that is what I was asking.

Bob

5. Anish

Anish

Feb 5, 2011
    Yeah, i did as exactly said. But I can't figure out how breadboard assembling drastically increases the range of the circuit?
    And also the op-amp part. I mean if it can run on 741, why use the costlier 3130?

6. Anish

Anish

Feb 5, 2011
    Hi,
    I searched over the internet, and found that I have one possibility to increase the range - i.e. to design an aerial. I am not familiar about aerials. But monopole aerial seems easy to make. If I make a monopole aerial for that circuit, will its range increase to say 5 meters?
    Also, I have one question. The monopole aerial is made using coax cable. where do i connect the ground of the aerial? Is it to be connected to circuit ground itself?

Thanks.

Ask a Question