Connect with us

RF Modulator help

Discussion in 'Electronic Components' started by [email protected], Dec 27, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest

    Hi y'all,

    I have a 30-yr-old TV, and one of those Commodore 64-in-a-joystick
    things (top xmas present!). Unfortunately it's only video output is
    AV, and when my TV was made there wasn't any AV to plug into, so. I
    imagine that my solution is.... a MODULATOR!

    I can't, at the moment, get hold of an old VCR and use that. I've
    looked up pinouts for Playstation and Xbox modulators (that are pretty
    cheap). Thing is, the pinouts include chroma/luma on separate wires,
    as well as RGB and other exotic things.

    My new toy is only composite out. One pin on the X-box's video port is
    composite. But is that one connected to the modulator? Perhaps the
    modulator uses the chroma / luma signals instead. Could I just wire my
    composite to the chroma and luma signals together? Just tie them
    together with a wire? No? Thought not!

    Anyway, I live in the UK. The joystick has 6V of batteries in it, so
    that'd ideally be my power supply. Any ingenious ideas where I can get
    hold of a modulator? I think Maplin sell one, in a case with sockets
    and everything, but it's a bit more than I want to spend. A bit more
    than my new toy is worth!

    Also, I'd like to be able to plug my new digital camera, with
    composite-out, into the same thing. And why not my PC's video-output
    as well (the proper S-video one, not VGA, duh!).

    I would be insanely, ecstatically grateful for a solution here, and
    cheap is the watchword. Any old suggestions. Maybe I'll get hold of an
    Atari 2600 and gut the mod from that. Hm. Stupid TV!

  2. Ken Taylor

    Ken Taylor Guest

    You should be able to go down to a local video/electronics shop and find
    such an item. They should be only a few bucks (pounds?). Otherwise an
    electronics hobbyist shop will have them (probably cheaper). Sorry I
    don't know any UK names for you.


  3. CWatters

    CWatters Guest

    Try searching for modulator. Stores in highstreet or
    mail order.
  4. Jasen Betts

    Jasen Betts Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to sci.electronics.misc.]
    What happens to dead VCRs in the UK? Usually it's the plastic gears that
    die first leaving the electronics still functional. any place that repairs
    them is likely to have a stack of "unecnomical to repair" units out the back.

    you can either gut one and take the modulator or just use it as-is.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day