Maker Pro
Maker Pro

RF choke?

jmink427

Apr 6, 2011
I have been troubleshooting a problem with my welder... It's a Miller Syncrowave 250.... I have been having issues with the remote amperage control not working.... I have checked the potentiometer, wires etc. and found that I wasn't getting my 10 VDC for the potentiometer reference.... So I found a schematic and started checking components. (This problem has been intermittent and has finally quit working all together..) O.K I found the component that is bad.. It has a break in the casing I can put a little pressure on it and it will work. (I had already checked for a cracked etching and cold solder joint but all looked good...) My parts list says this is a RF Choke 250MA 3.8 ohms.... I can't seem to find anything listed this way?:confused: I really need to fix this thing I got some aluminum welding to do..

Thanks

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
tis not the normal way a choke would be listed. normally would be listed by its inductance eg. 5uH (micro Henry's) 10mH (milli Henry's) etc
saying a choke is 250mA 3.8 Ohmas doesnt mean much

can you show us a photo (sharp and clear) of the choke and surrounding circuit
do you have a schematic of the unit ?

Dave

jmink427

Apr 6, 2011
tis not the normal way a choke would be listed. normally would be listed by its inductance eg. 5uH (micro Henry's) 10mH (milli Henry's) etc
saying a choke is 250mA 3.8 Ohmas doesnt mean much

can you show us a photo (sharp and clear) of the choke and surrounding circuit
do you have a schematic of the unit ?

Dave

That is what is throwing me for a loop... How many Henrys is it? I will post a pic of the circuit in a few minutes....

jmink427

Apr 6, 2011
Here is the circuit....

circuit.jpg

jmink427

Apr 6, 2011
I called Miller.. They told me it is a 330uh 250ma choke... They want about 13 bucks for it.... I found them on a digikey site but had a 14 week lead time...:eek: I managed to re-solder the lead back on but the wire is about the size of a hair... Works for now, we will see how long this patch last.;)

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I called Miller.. They told me it is a 330uh 250ma choke... They want about 13 bucks for it.... I found them on a digikey site but had a 14 week lead time...:eek: I managed to re-solder the lead back on but the wire is about the size of a hair... Works for now, we will see how long this patch last.;)

thats good you may be able to make one yourself for future use. or find some one else that sells a 330uH one for the couple of bucks its really worth.

Dave