Connect with us

Rewiring a log cabin

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by [email protected], Sep 28, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest

    I have an old log cabin with 5" thick logs. I want to rewire and
    mount outlets on the logs. To connect outlets on the same wall, I
    want to run a wire horizontally between two logs where the gap is
    between 1/2 inch to 2 inches. Once this is done, I will be chinking
    (applying mortar) the logs. So the mortar will surround the wire and
    the wire will lie somewhere in the 5" thickness gap between 2 logs.
    These logs may expand and contract a little throughout the year, but
    structurally, they're like a rock.

    Can I use NMB wire for this? If not, what must I use. Thanks for the
  2. ehsjr

    ehsjr Guest

    Using NM in mortar is specifically prohibited by the NEC.
    You can use MC or MI, or run nonmetallic conduit.

  3. terryS

    terryS Guest

    That's seems to be what the rules say in North America?
    But reading the UK based d-i-y group <uk.d-i-y > group it would appear
    that they with their brick house construction bury 230 volt wires
    wires in plaster and within mortared walls etc all the time! So there
    must be cabling etc. that can withstand what the OP wants to do?
    Using plastic conduit would be bulky and probably wouldn't fit in the
    chinks between the logs.
    Could cable suitable for direct ground burial (is that what MC or MI
    means?) be used between the logs and then mortared or plastered or
    caulked in?
    Might be good idea to keep asking; someone in North America has
    probably hit this question before.
  4. terryS

    terryS Guest

    BTW. Respectfully suggest try asking this question on
    <> they are a pretty knowledgeable and helpful group.
  5. Don Bowey

    Don Bowey Guest

    Also, respectfully suggest you seek an answer _off_the_internet. Most any
    electrical supply joint will have credible people whom you can ask. Don't
    just ask around in random places until someone tells you what you would
    prefer to hear.

    Ed's suggestion is valid, "You can use MC or MI {rated cable}, or run
    nonmetallic conduit."

    My copy of the NEC says the same thing. No surprise.
  6. bud--

    bud-- Guest

    Yea, they answer a lot of electrical questions.

    UF- underground feeder - should be applicable. Looks like grey Romex
    (but is a pain to strip).
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day