Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Reversing Realy Switch?

TonyR2

Jun 7, 2017
I need help with a wiring diagram that shows how to use a momentary push button switch, a 5 pin reversing micro relay, and 9v DC battery to energize a circuit On or OFF. When the monetary button switch is pushed the relay powers the circuit ON. When the same monetary button is pushed again it De-energizes the circuit OFF. Will the attached relay work in this scenario? What pins do I connect the 9v battery and which pins go to the Circuit or as an example an 9v LED light. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Tony
Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 3.39.25 PM.png

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
There is nothing in that datasheet that indicates that the relay is "alternate action" - energize once, 30 is connected to 87 and stays there after power is removed from the coil; energize again, 30 is connected to 87a and stays there after power is removed.

It looks like a simple form-A (SPDT) relay. You can make it behave in an alternate-action manner in one of three ways:

1. Control it with an alternate action (push-oh, push-off) switch.

2. Use a simple pushbutton switch to trigger an alternate-action circuit, called a toggle flipflop. The flipflop output drives the relay. For that to work, power must be applied to the circuit continuously, no matter which state the relay is in.

3. Use a different relay. An impulse relay does exactly what you want with a mechanical latching mechanism; no electronic circuit needed.

ak

TonyR2

Jun 7, 2017
There is nothing in that datasheet that indicates that the relay is "alternate action" - energize once, 30 is connected to 87 and stays there after power is removed from the coil; energize again, 30 is connected to 87a and stays there after power is removed.

It looks like a simple form-A (SPDT) relay. You can make it behave in an alternate-action manner in one of three ways:

1. Control it with an alternate action (push-oh, push-off) switch.

2. Use a simple pushbutton switch to trigger an alternate-action circuit, called a toggle flipflop. The flipflop output drives the relay. For that to work, power must be applied to the circuit continuously, no matter which state the relay is in.

3. Use a different relay. An impulse relay does exactly what you want with a mechanical latching mechanism; no electronic circuit needed.

ak
AnalogKid, Thanks for getting back to me. Do you know if there is micro impulse relay that will work with a 9V DC power supply? Everything I find on the internet are 12 or 24 volts 10 to 30 amps.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Impulse relays live in the industrial control world, often controlling motors. Hence, the contacts, and thus the coils, are fairly beefy. I don't know of any small, low power versions that aren't custom made for a specific OEM and application.

A toggle flipflop circuit can turn any relay into an alternate-action type, but power must be maintained to the circuit to hold its state.

ak