Connect with us

Reversing circuit help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by ktmtragic, Nov 14, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. ktmtragic

ktmtragic

Nov 14, 2012
    I would like to build a reversing circuit to control a motor using 2 relays. All I need is relay 1 energizes for 20 seconds then deenegizes a five second delay and then relay 2 energizes for 20 seconds and deenergizes and this sequence continues repeatedly. The rest of the controls on the machines are 240V AC.
    I would like to make this board as simple and robust as possible. The last time I built a circuit board was 20 years ago for my electrical trade test so guys please keep it simple and thanks in advance:)

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I would recommend you have an oscillator that operates at 0.2 Hz (one cycle every 5 seconds).

This drives a 4017 where you connect (via diodes) the first 4 outputs to a transistor which activated relay 1. you skip the next output and similarly connect the next 4 outputs to relay 2.

That will give you 20 seconds relay 1, 5 sec delay, 20 sec relay 2, 5 sec delay, ... repeated ad infinitum.

It's not entirely trivial, but it's not too hard either.

Given that it used CMOS, I'd use a 40106 hex schmitt trigger to make the oscillator.

How important is the timing? is +/- 10% acceptable?

3. ktmtragic

ktmtragic

Nov 14, 2012
    Thanks Steve for your response.
    Timing accuracy is not an issue. Is it possible for you to do a drawing/ sketch?
    Thanks

Ask a Question