Connect with us

reverse polarity relay??

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by OZEXPAT, May 5, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. OZEXPAT

OZEXPAT

May 5, 2013
    I am not anything remotely close to an electronics expert and am seeking help

I want to find a polarity reversing relay to control a linear actuator on a timer

I found a wiring diagram on line

[​IMG]

It is described as a DPDT switch internally wired for polarity-reversal applications: only four rather than six wires are brought outside the switch housing

where can I find something like this - i am unsure by descriptions if I am looking for the right thing

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    You have the description, it's a DPDT (Double Pole - Double Throw) switch or relay... You can find them all over the place, try Google, Ebay or your local/Internet electronic component store...

3. OZEXPAT

OZEXPAT

May 5, 2013
    I have seen DPDT but none set up internally for polarity switching. Can I do this outside the relay?

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Yes, the way you connect the wires produces the desired result...

5. OZEXPAT

OZEXPAT

May 5, 2013
    thank you.

The comment that its set up internally threw me - I can do this!ou

thank y

6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    May not be useful, but...

In addition, you'll often see exactly the same wiring, but with each set of contacts on a different relay (i.e. two SPDT relays). This allows a motor to got forward, backward, or stop.

Normally the relays are wired to that when neither is powered, the motor is off.

7. Six_Shooter

Six_Shooter

Nov 16, 2012
    As suggested two SPDT relays can be used.

Look up the wiring used to control door lock actuators in a vehicle. You will notice that when done this way that only one actuator is energized at a time, due to the at rest polarity of the system.

Ask a Question