Connect with us

Reverse polarity damage

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by SuHast, Mar 11, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. SuHast

SuHast

Mar 11, 2014
    Hello I have a circuit for using a 7.4v battery, a soft switch (solid state switch) and 3 small servos. I have connected the battery backwards and the switch has popped out and smoked, The servo motors are fine because I disconnected the battery fast. Should I worry about the servos? They work fine and apparently have no damage. The burned switch has protected them? Now the switch Works but can't be turned off.

This is the switch.
    http://www.fromeco.org/Products/04FRCBADSW-420b/

2. shumifan50

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
    If the servos behave as before, then it is unlikely they are damaged. Give them a thorough test though.
    As you have the link to the switch, you could just replace it.

At 7.4v it seems like a LiPo battery. They don't like short circuits and I would be more worried about the battery as it can catch fire if it is damaged. Inspect it carefully and only use/charge under close supervision a few times to make sure it does not misbehave(read catch fire).

3. SuHast

SuHast

Mar 11, 2014
    the battery is fine I have charged it and the 2 cells did not get unbalanced. Is there a chance the servos worl but loose performance?

4. shumifan50

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
    That is unlikely.

Ask a Question