Connect with us

Reverse Polarity Damage... I think???

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by John-Allan, Jan 1, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. John-Allan

John-Allan

Jan 1, 2016
    I'm not sure if reverse polarity is the right term, but upon a few google searches I am under the impression that it has to do with + to -, instead of + to + and - to -. Feel free to cuss me out if I'm wrong. So, I'm not a electrition in the slightest. My question regards a guitar pedal that was made in Argentina. After testing a 9 volt DC adapter on the pedal, I learned from a friend that the reason the pedal wasn't functioning was because the +'s/-'s were off. The diagram on the adapter looked like this- ( - )--(o--(+). And the one on the guitar pedal was the opposite- (+)--(o--( - ). After testing the adapter I'm worried that the pedal is fried. The problem is that I can't test a good adapter at the moment because I am awaiting a new adapter in the mail. If all of this makes any sense (I really apologize if it doesn't), then here are my questions.-

1. Do you think that I did damage to my pedal?

2. Is it easy to fix any damage I may have caused or is the damage practically eriversable.

3. Am I asking a super technical questions in a really general way and should just leave this forum and never come back. (Probably)

I would really appreciate any answers or comments. Even if you can't answer everything. Im also very willing to learn about electronics so don't hesitate to drop a novel on the subject if need be. My last comment is that I am sorry for any potential misuse of these forums. I hope it's not just for aspiring electricians, but also for idiots like me. Thanks in advance for literally any sort of reply.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2016
  2. Martaine2005

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
    Hi John,
    1. probably
    2. probably
    3. No.....:)
    That's a real shame about the pedal. And yes, reversed the polarity is correct..
    If you are lucky, no damage was done. IF the unit has reverse polarity protection!
    If it doesn't it could be a disaster or a simple fix!
    Can you post some pictures of the insides, nice close ups and clear?
    You didn't really need to purchase a new adaptor, you could have cut the end off and replaced it reversed!.

Martin

3. Martaine2005

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
    [​IMG]

John-Allan and Arouse1973 like this.
  4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Martin .... why have you got the wires reversed ?????

ohhh OK LOL

Martaine2005 likes this.
  5. Martaine2005

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
    Hehe Dave,
    A pinch, punch, first day of the month joke!!:p
    It might work! I have never tried:eek:

Message to OP....That was a joke too.....

Happy new year guys....:D

Martin

6. brevor

brevor

Apr 9, 2013
    I have worked on a lot of guitar pedals, most have reverse polarity protection.
    so there is a good chance it will be OK.

John-Allan likes this.
  7. John-Allan

John-Allan

Jan 1, 2016
    Hope so! Thanks for the reply, brevor!

8. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Yeah, my reply would have been "don't panic until after you've tried it with the correct polarity". :)

John-Allan likes this.
  9. John-Allan

John-Allan

Jan 1, 2016
    Here's the back of the circuit board. I'm not sure how to show you the rest.

Attached Files:

10. John-Allan

John-Allan

Jan 1, 2016
    Hey, Martaine. Just wanted to clarify. Is that a probably to the "easy fix" or to the "eriversable damage"?

11. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    without knowing the exact inside circuitry, it is impossible to confirm one way or the other
    D1 may or may not be a reverse voltage protection diode

John-Allan likes this.
  12. John-Allan

John-Allan

Jan 1, 2016
    Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll update this thread when I get a chance to test the pedal with the correct polarity.(Probably Sunday.) I know that Martaine suggested to reverse the polarity on the adapter that I already own, but I already ordered a new one and don't want to accidentally do anything worse to the pedal than I already have. Again, thanks for the help!

13. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    Yes, I've ranted about th(-)s practice before. It is so damn counter intuitive that th(+)s should be made international LAW!

By the way John, they actually make coaxial inline adapters to reverse this obnoxious practice. No cutting, wire swapping and soldering required. ;)

Chris

John-Allan likes this.
  14. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  15. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    Ha! The more I search the cheaper they're getting. Here's yet another Polarity Converter ($1.99) shipping. If I'm lucky I'll find one from China. That one will have free shipping and they'll pay me to ship it! :D

Chris

16. Martaine2005

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
    Yes, as in probably easy to fix.. Even the IC's are in sockets too...Result..
    Is your unit the "pixel"? There really should be protection on it.
    However, Spanish!! 'cat black', car red', 'the woman pretty'.....Who knows.:p
    Looks like the centre of the board is your DC in and two outside are in/out. There seems to be a mosfet and a diode there. So might have more protection than needed...Which will be very nice..
    I was also going to suggest a DC/DC reverse polarity lead as @CDRIVE suggested but the DC jacks come in various sizes too HERE.
    Uncle Chris has a love hate relationship with DC jacks that are centre negative.. He loves to hate them!!:D
    You could have "seriously" cut the jack off and reversed it thoigh!!

Martin

CDRIVE and John-Allan like this.
  17. John-Allan

John-Allan

Jan 1, 2016
  18. Martaine2005

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
    Ok, wait for the new adaptor and plug it in....It should fuzz and shine like new....

Martin

19. John-Allan

John-Allan

Jan 1, 2016
    I probably would have gone with this, but the adapter I ordered is already a day away. Thanks, Chris.

20. John-Allan

John-Allan

Jan 1, 2016
    I hope!!! By the way, I was wondering if you found pictures of the circuitry online and thats why you were able to narrow down your answer to my second question. If so, did you find out for sure whether or not it has reverse polarity protection?

Ask a Question