Maker Pro
Maker Pro

reverse engineering hair straighteners

mgonzalez

Jun 5, 2012
Hi there,

I am currently doing a reverse engineering project. For the project I have taken a pair of hair straighteners with the aim of lowering the input voltage and lowering the temperature output to around body temperature. Ideally I want the finished product to run off a battery pack instead of being mains operated. I haven't a clue where to start, can anyone help me?

Thanks.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Are you limited to using the hair straightener? It might be more practical to get nichrome wire with known specifications (chosen for the end goal) and work from there, especially if the end goal is to make it run off batteries...

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Well if you are limited to the straighteners you will need to test and try to figure out how to run the heating elements off of your chosen power supply, in excess or at minimum of the desired end temp... Once you figure that out just install a thermostat to regulate the temp...

The problem you will likely discover is that the heating elements are designed for mains and likely draw a significant amount of power, something the battery won't have, unless you supersize :)