Connect with us

Reverse character LCD polarisation?

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by seanspotatobusiness, Apr 21, 2019.

1. seanspotatobusiness

seanspotatobusiness

Sep 11, 2012
    If I buy a cheap character LCD that displays black characters with a yellow/green background, should it be possible to change it to yellow/green characters with a black background by removing the polariser and replacing it with another oriented 90 degrees to the original? Would the old polariser be quite difficult to remove?

2. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    If I were you. I would Google how an LCD actually works.

davenn likes this.
  3. seanspotatobusiness

seanspotatobusiness

Sep 11, 2012
    You seem to suggest that an LCD cannot be inverted by rotating the polariser but if that's the case then what is the basis of this LCD watch modification?

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Probably yes. You mention it is a cheap LCD. Just give it a try. Youtube has lots of videos on how to do this. Then roate the old polarizer by 90 ° and see if it works as expected. For the final mod you'll probably need a new polarizer to match the display in the new orientation (also the old one is likely to get damaged during removal).

Ask a Question