Connect with us

Reverse bleeper booster

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by elgnarc, Jun 23, 2015.

1. elgnarc

elgnarc

Jun 23, 2015
    I am a newbie and also a real electronic novice. i have a problem with my reverse bleeper on my car - it is far too quiet. Kia say that the volume cannot be increased. is it easily possible to amplify this? A mini microphone placed near the bleeper, attached to an amplifier? I can't break into the car's circuit wiring because it would invalidate the wiring.
    Is there anything on the market which could do the job for me?

2. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Well... Perhaps an 'additional' beeper.
    The trick is that a mic and amplifer will amplify EVERYTHING and you run a high risk of feedback (Which would certainly get people's attention ;))

If... and this is entirely up to you; you tap into the reverse light, you can use it to trigger a relay to drive your louder beeper. I understand you can't alter factory wiring, but there are ways around it.

It will require you to do a little leg-work and a little creativity.
    If you can get your hands on a reverse light socket from a wrecker, and an old reverse light bulb, you can make an in-line adaptor. You simply unplug your reverse light, plug in your adaptor and plug the adaptor into the reverse light. The adaptor will contain the wiring modifications, you just need to be sure you unplug it before you take it into servicing. This will not modify existing wire harnesses and will appear 100% stock once the adaptor is removed. Is this acceptable?
    If not, you may have to creatively place a micro switch near the shift lever, so that it gets pressed when you move the lever to the reverse position.

3. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    You also might be able to use a light sensor to detect when the reversing is on. Then this could be used to trigger another beeper. I have done a similar thing using fibre optic cable shining onto a photo-transistor.
    Adam

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    I wish I had that problem. The one in my Prius is too loud and quite annoying.

Bob

5. elgnarc

elgnarc

Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks to all, food for thought!

Ask a Question