Connect with us

Reverse bench grinder

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Kristian, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Kristian

Kristian

Oct 22, 2018
    Is it possible to reverse a bench grinder?
    I converted my bench grinder with a drill chuck, and now i would like it to turn both ways. I believe most grinders have a single phase motor with a starting capacitor. My engine has 4 wires comming from the coils.

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Yes, just rotate the bench grinder by 180 degrees.

Bob

Bluejets likes this.
  3. Kristian

Kristian

Oct 22, 2018
    I only have one drill chuck at one end, so it is always turning in one direction.:(

4. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Reverse either the start or the run windings in relation to eachother via a dedicated changeover switch.

For example, motor winding ends are referred to as "start" and "finish".
    If a motor such as this one is running one direction and it has both "starts" joined together and both "finish" joined together, then reversing this to "start"/"finish" ...."finish"/"start" will have it running in reverse.

You could end for end the rotor but this might be a pain in the *** every time you want to drill a hole.:D:D

Could end up $100 or so.

Just be aware some grind stones are uni-directional, reverse them and they can apparently break up (explode)

Might be a better idea all round to get yourself a drill.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  5. dave9

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
    What exactly does this mean? You converted it into what? What are you needing it to do now?

There is probably a ready made tool that does what you need done and that works much better at it.

6. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Clockwise for grinding....anti-clockwise for drilling...duh...
    Viewed of course from the spindle end

7. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    A drill needs a bearing which will take a large axial load. Does the grinder have such bearings?

dave9 likes this.
  8. dave9

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
    ^ Agreed. I could see putting a wire wheel, buffer or sanding drum in a chuck attached to a grinder, but then it wouldn't matter which way it turned. Even so if the chuck were put on the other end of the grinder then it would turn the opposite direction. Plus, corded drills aren't all that expensive and have a more usable RPM and torque range for drilling in addition to the bearings for it.

9. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    All I have ever seen seem to take the punishment over who knows how many years from people insisting on grinding down oversize chunks of steel on the side of the wheels...:eek::eek:

Ball bearings fitted are rather large and yes, will take the pounding.
    Weight of the rotor in a standard drill press should convince you of that.

10. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Ball bearings come in a range of clearances, A large clearance is necessary to take an axial load.The balls then run up the side of the groove to take the load. A bearing with little clearance will not allow the balls to run up the side of the grooves so the forces will be very high due to the wedging action.
    Tapered roller bearings will be prefered for considerable axial loads or a combination of a plain roller and a planar thrust ball bearing.

Ask a Question