Connect with us

Reverb

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Deigh, Feb 24, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Deigh

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
    I'd like to build a small cheap 12v reverb unit to add to my guitar amplifier in New Zealand. Quite prepared to work from a kit. In fact I'd prefer a kit but cant find anything on the internet. Anyone got any ideas?:eek:

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
  3. Deigh

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
    sorry, you got me there, what is a ring modulator?

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I have no idea. But the effect sounded something like reverb. I thought the term may have been more familiar to you. <shrug>

5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    I havent used a ring modulator outside of RF activities...
    In that situation, it is a way of applying audio modulation to the oscillator to produce an FM signal out.

[​IMG]

above is a standard ring modulator usually housed in a metallic package for shielding.

In the case of the OP's guitar effect, the input would be from the guitar, the output to the amplifier and the carrier would be an input from a fixed or variable oscillator

I have no idea if they make then specifically for audio freq's, not something I have had anything to do with. But now you have an idea on what its about, maybe you can do some more google searching etc and see what you can find.

If you find some possible circuits, show them to us guys and there's sure to be some one that can say "yup that looks ok" or "no its a load of crap" ;)

cheers
    Dave

Attached Files:

6. Deigh

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
    Thanks for that, gives me an idea on how to build one.Will continue searching the internet and see if anything turns up. I can buy a professionally built one but they are expensive, large and do too much. All I want is something to make the output from my amplifier sound a little more interesting when playing solos.:D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2012
  7. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    I didnt know a ringmod could be used for reverb - but the simplest way to make a reverb unit is to use a spring - has to be fairly long and flexible and has a magnetic coil at each end - 1 to drive it and 1 as a pickup. These obviously need the correct amplification at each end and optionally you can add some filtering. It's been on my list of things to do for years - I actually have a spring and coil set from an old amp that caught fire.

8. Deigh

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011

9. alfa88

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
    PT2399

Goggle search for a PT2399 datasheet. I used the schematic in the application guide and it worked extremely well. You can tweak some values to get more range. Someone out there made a kit including a compander stage.

Ask a Question