Maker Pro
Maker Pro

resistor value

pete g

Sep 14, 2010
anyone know what the value of a resistor marked as 100OM on the schematic?

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
100 OhMs?
show us the schematic. we'll all get better ideas.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir pete geeeeeeee . . . . .

If its being an old tubed radio, they sometimes used M as not being megohms, but K instead.
So check to see if that resistor is reading about 1 megohm, instead of 1000 megoths !!!.
(How be the capac-i- tater checker ? )

73's de Edd . . . . .

Out of my mind. . . . . ( back in five minutes.)

pete g

Sep 14, 2010
hi edd, this notation (100OM) appears on a schematic for a soldering station I might build. can't check value. the saga of the cap checker has come to an end. I used some of the parts from it, to make another.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir pete geeeeeee . . . . .

Well then, what value does the "resistor" read when out of circuit ?

Also, what are the possibilities that it actually might be a round tubular ceramic capacitor . . . with the M being a +- 20% tolerance and it being of a .001 ufd capacitance value.
But . . . . . that would not hold true, if the SOLE connection to that diode is only being this part.
Its quite common for that value to be used ACROSS a diode used in a power rectifier function.
No way can I see 1000megohms being associated with that new age circuitry, for that particular product design.

Yet, should it be a resistor, 1000 (M) illiohms would be one abnormal and wierd way of identification for a 1 ohm resistor, but that is more in line with what woud be in series, within a 3 terminal regulator circuit.

Got pictures ? or the schematic or model and brand of that soldering iron controller?

73's de Edd . . . . .

If God had wanted me to touch my toes . . . . . he would have put them on my knees.

Last edited:

pete g

Sep 14, 2010
Sir pete geeeeeee . . . . .

Well then, what value does the "resistor" read when out of circuit ?

Also, what are the possibilities that it actually might be a round tubular ceramic capacitor . . .......... ,.

Clipboard01.jpg

[Mod Note: got rid of PDF and displayed the actual image]

Last edited by a moderator:

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
There is one of them there things in the sensor. Thermister ?

Ylli

Jun 19, 2018
Capture.JPG

That resistor simply provides some voltage drop before the regulator to reduce the power dissipation in the regulator. The load on the 7809 appears to be small - maybe 25 mA - so the value of R16 is not going to be critical. I'd use 100 ohms. But..... use the 220 uF/25 volt cap on the input of the regulator and the 220 uF/16 volt part on the output.

pete g

Sep 14, 2010
View attachment 44757

That resistor simply provides some voltage drop before the regulator to reduce the power dissipation in the regulator. The load on the 7809 appears to be small - maybe 25 mA - so the value of R16 is not going to be critical. I'd use 100 ohms. But..... use the 220 uF/25 volt cap on the input of the regulator and the 220 uF/16 volt part on the output.
yes, thanks for your input. I have never seen that notation.(100OM). I think the designer is from India.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
I have never seen that notation.(100OM). I think the designer is from India.
Google says the text on the schematic is Vietnamese. "OM" translates as "Ohm" and the text on the component just below JP5 translates as "Heating".

pete g

Sep 14, 2010
o.k., that's great, thanks for the explanation. it just seems strange he only used that designation on certain resistors.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
That resistor simply provides some voltage drop before the regulator to reduce the power dissipation in the regulator

it's not the only one labelled such on the board

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir pete geeeeeeeeeeeeee . . . . .

I now see that you have now come forth with some GOOD fulfilling data . . . .
Now, being relevant to your . . . . . Trang chủ / Veeeeenaaaaaameeeese Soldering Station
Seems like they are somewhat trying to emulate a Hakko 900 series of soldering station.
Spread around the page, you will be further encountering some more Viet:
HIỂN THỊ NHIỆT . . . . . display temperature
PHÙ CHÍNH . . . . . . " fitness " the units hidden / internal Calibrate control
Tay hàn . . . . . . . soldering iron . . . with its ~ 10 ohm heating element resistance and its internal 50 ohm thermal sensors resistance .
( Most of my units, sense values are being 5-10 0hm, stone cold, and then rise on up into the 25-30 ohm range as being their heated temperature. )
CHỈNH NHIỆT. . . . . . heating . . . . . temperature control knob

Now, you just need to . . . .Viết phản hồi . . . . (write us your feedback . . . in Vietnamese ! )

This is totally relating to my Vietnamese technical dealings of 50+ years past, at which time, most technical dealings THEN were relating to French techno expertise and learnings.
And yes OM is ohm and that would incorporate two 10 ohm resistance values being spread around the units schematic.
ALSO, do note the DC POWER . . . NOT 24 AC . . . being feed to the switched heater element, via power FET in its ground return leg.
And it also supplies the three terminal regulator, for sub supply of its control electronics.
On that 9V regulator stage, he has the caps DC voltage ratings REVERSED. ( I now belatedly see you . . . . Ylli ) You might additionally also want to confirm that a higher 35-50 VDC rated cap might actually be needed at the first input cap position
Most of our AMERIKANSKI ( Weller) units use raw 24VAC with a triggered triac doing the heater element switching .

Thaaaaaaaasssit . . . . .

73's de Edd . . . . .

The latest statistics on sanity conditions, is that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness.
Think of your three best friends — if they’re okay, then it’s YOU !

Last edited:

pete g

Sep 14, 2010
hi edd, as usual, thanks for your excellent reply. are the resistors depicted on he schematic 10 ohms or 100 ohms? also what should the current capacity of the power transformer at 24vdc? Vietnamese ? how about Brooklynese?

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Alright youse guys its a like-a-dis.
Around da coikit boid I only sees dis marking beein associated wit da 'irons sensor as 50 Ω
R4 as 100 Ω
The irons heater element as 10 Ω
And the R16 . . . .at the 9 vac supply. . . .used as a voltage dropping resistor, as being 100 Ω
And of course you will be needing that main 24v supply to be at LEAST 2 amps, with that minimally being a 50 watt (more ?) iron.
You building this unit up from scratch ?

73's de Edd

pete g

Sep 14, 2010
Alright youse guys its a like-a-dis.
Around da coikit boid I only sees dis marking beein associated wit da 'irons sensor as 50 Ω
R4 as 100 Ω
The irons heater element as 10 Ω
And the R16 . . . .at the 9 vac supply. . . .used as a voltage dropping resistor, as being 100 Ω
And of course you will be needing that main 24v supply to be at LEAST 2 amps, with that minimally being a 50 watt (more ?) iron.
You building this unit up from scratch ?

73's de Edd
yes, i'am building from scratch. I,am tring to figure out what goes to the three connections marked hien thi nhiet?

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
'That is being a small Temperature Display / Voltmeter module that he got from E-bay / Amazon / Banggood / or / Alibaba.
Much akin to

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...pm=a2700.7724857.normalList.40.438828cfBWn2uN

You would really need to sub in a DVM at its monitoring point of pin 1 of the LM324 to ground to see what voltage range swing is being present at different temperatures.
I am thinking of a 1 VDC . . . full scale . . . . reading as what scaling is being needed.

If you can provide me the link / documentation / video of the Viets , then I might glean more info from that info of his.

Last edited:

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Pete geeeeeeeeeee . . . . .

Looking at all of the information that he has put out / made available . . . . your depiction supplied above is not showing a Temp Display, but on the schematic that you showed, it is showing the connection point if using one.

This list of links below, is all that he is showing relevant to his other variants that he has shown, in which case he gets the Temp Displays from other sources, both as kits or DIY construction, which needs the u/p's hex programming code.
OR some units are programmed and are thereby considering the use of a K type therrmocouple with them, such as those iron hand units use.

These videos are relating to his Hakko iron oriented soldering stations schemes . . .

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0dW_Q1nhPqbUQZvbeogOnQ/videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7t2frBfW2c

The PCB layout pattern and component placements . . .

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwdhV7ro1izsc09qZzFmaUlrbEk/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwdhV7ro1izsaGtWY0s0S3RDNlU/view

And, also found in the content, a bit of a variant in PCB fabrication, in the respect of using a bit of the " weeping " effect of solvent into the toner, for its transferrance to the Copper PC blank..
Thus, effecting a chemical transfer, vice the typical thermal pressure of a hot clothing iron pressed into the paper backed PCB / toner pattern, onto the bare copper PCB blank.
Why not read abour it @ . . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3lfMWt6nRk&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAFHgdVKB0c

I figure that in the one case of the blue poly sheet backing stuck to the "magazine" paper that the pattern was laser printed on was to
1 . . .add some more friction protection to that paper pattern, since it is to be pressure rubbed quite a bit.
2 . . .permit more retention time to the dampened paper, of its absorbed acetone+ ethanol / denatured alcohol mix, by slowing down air exposure time of evaporation.
You might just use adhesive backed Contact Paper, or a self stick laminating sheet, or side by side placed Scotch Clear Box packaging tape of the 2 inch width to the printed PCB pattern paper..

The final Q-tip clean up ? might actually be a degree of alcohol thinned out liquid rosin that is covering the board to then dry out into an antioxidant coating, for the bare copper pattern.
It is then being a flash flux coating for the forthcoming soldering of the PCB.

Thasssssssit . . . . .

73's de Edd . . . . .

I just hate it when my foot falls asleep during the day, because, you then just KNOW that it's going to be up all night.

Last edited: