Connect with us

Resistor Replacement

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by enothor, Oct 28, 2012.

1. enothor

enothor

Oct 28, 2012
    I had two (2) 68k Ohm 5%, 1/2 Watt resistors blow on a circuit board and cannot find any locally. What other options do I have to replace these? Can I use a mix of resistors to compensate or any way to short through it and still allow it to function (like putting a steel bar in place of the resistor)?

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Yep, series and parallel will produce different results, there are online calculators to help facilitate your choices based on what you can find...

For example a 150 and 120 in parallel will get you about 67 Ohms, plenty close in almost all applications... Or a 220 and 100 in parallel will get you about 69 Ohms, again plenty close in many applications...

Or you can do a series of say three 22 Ohms that will get you about 66 Ohms, again likely close enough...

Lots of options out there, but sourcing a 68 shouldn't really be that hard...

Um, no unless it's real long (or real thin) that would give it 68 Ohms of resistance...

3. enothor

enothor

Oct 28, 2012
    what about for the 68,000 ohm?

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Sorry, missed the K, same rules apply just give them a 1K multiplier...

I have no idea what value resistors you can obtain...

But three 22K in series is 66K

Heck seven 10K in series might even be fine at 70K

And the list could go on for days, what value resistors do you have?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Coca Cola, do you need to change some K's to M's there?

for enothor, the one golden rule for checking your calculation is that for resistors in parallel the resulting resistance is ALWAYS lower than the lowest value resistor.

6. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Yep... In a rush... Without knowing what values are avaiable it's pretty useless to just toss up examples anyway...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
Ask a Question