Connect with us

Resistor help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by gazza2342, Dec 10, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. gazza2342

gazza2342

Dec 10, 2012
    Hi guys, pretty new to electronics i need a hand with a resistor i have taken out of a samsung tv which i think has blown how do i work out the details of the resistor to replace it been doin a lot of research for the past few days but im struggling to figure out how to do it. if u want any details of the resistor just ask.

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    A picture would help. Note that just replacing the resistor will not necessarily fix the tv, it probably blew for a reason, and if that reason is still there, the next one will blow as well.

Bob

3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    A lot of components that LOOK like resistors, ...aren't.
    BobK is right, a picture is worth a hundred words.
    If you can't do a picture, identifying the part (color bands, text, MIGHT help, but not
    always). Another helpful hint is to look on the printed circuit board where you got the
    componet from. Often the board has some type of identifier on it to tell you at least
    what the component is (but not its value). An 'R' preceeding a number for example,
    tells you that the component is a Resistor. A 'C' often denotes a capacitor. An 'L' is
    usually an inductor.
    Like BobK said, something else in the circuit probably went bad, causing your resistor
    to be destroyed. You might look for other damage on the board, although most damage
    in circuits is not always visible.
    In all cases, having a schematic of your circuit is the most helpful thing to have.
    'SAM's' Photofacts makes schematics for all TV's, but they are pricey nowadays be-
    cause the market primarily to TV repair shops which make money. Some manufacturers
    also supply schematics.
    You might try Googling your mfgr/model Samsung, and see if anybody posted anything
    on your schematic, or possibly even the specifc problem you have.

4. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    hey there are many types of resistors and as the others have mentioned many components that look like resistors but i always found this chart to be a handy quick reference to start with.
    a photo would help us help you alot better
    [​IMG]

Ask a Question