Connect with us

Request for definition of "power well"

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by K7AAY, Apr 16, 2009.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. K7AAY

    K7AAY Guest

    May I ask you kind folks to refer me to a site or web page which
    explains what a "power well" is, especially in the context of personal
    computer motherboard circuit design? Thank you kindly, all.
  2. Greegor

    Greegor Guest

    Isn't it just an odd term for a power buss?
  3. Are you sure it's not a bad translation of "Power good" ?

    Best regards,
    Spehro Pefhany
  4. whit3rd

    whit3rd Guest

    Maybe translation?
    well => spring :== source,
    so "power source" becomes "power well"?
  5. Jamie

    Jamie Guest

    Maybe you are referring to the PG signal "Power Good" which is the power
    at one time, it used to be an orange wire in the older supplies.
    This some times was used as part of the reset sequence on the mother
    board to insure the power supply was fully up and running on all of it's
    voltages before the CPU did a reset and to start.

    Things have changed a lot over the years, it may not be what you're
    looking for.

    The green wire is normally the ON switch that you pull to common
    which will turn on the supply."
  6. K7AAY

    K7AAY Guest

    No, not what I'm looking for. It's used by a major IC manufacturer,
    and in documentation written by US-born native English speakers, so
    this is not a case of Engrish poor translation.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day