Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Replacing surge varistor

Cirkit

Oct 28, 2015
I need to replace a shorted surge varistor which has taken out the incoming fuse in a power supply.

How does one determine the surge voltage rating based on a 240V AC line?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
240 V AC is the RMS.
The tolerance of mains is +-10 %, so the max. AC voltage is 240 V × 1.1 = 264 V.
The peak is 264 × sqrt(2) = 374 V.
Your varistor my not become active at or below this voltage as this is normal operating condition.
Typically Varistors have an AC rating that takes these factors into account. A varistor with an AC rating of 264 V or higher is suitable. Often 275 V varistors are used to leave some headroom for voltage spikes above + 10 %.

Cirkit

Oct 28, 2015
Thanks @Harald Kapp. I guess under normal operation, peak voltages are only hit very occasionally and for a short period of time which isn't enough to cause the Varistor to go low resistance and blow the incoming fuse?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
That is the idea of the varistor in that place. Only under overload conditions should the varistor become conducting and thus trigger the fuse. That the varistor itself dies during this act is an unfortunate side effect.
However. note that this failure is not necessarily the result of a single overload event. Depending on the quality of your mains supply the varistor may experience multiple small overload events during its lifetime. Every single event not being strong enough to trigger the fuse or destroy the varistor. But with every single small event the varistor dies bit for bit until it finally blows up in a single catastrophic failure.
If such a failure happens rather frequently in your home, consider putting a powerline filter between the appliance and the mains outlet.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

The attached PDF from littlefuse will give you info on overcurrent and overvoltage protection.

Bertus

Attachments

• littelfuse_circuit_protection_technology_application_matrix_application_guide.pdf
    246 KB · Views: 5