Connect with us

replacing control panel on Treadmill with potentiometer

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by jeff kopp, Sep 25, 2020.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jeff kopp

jeff kopp

Sep 25, 2020
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Trying to use the DC motor and power board on a treadmill for a sander build. The control panel has a 12 pin connector between it and the power board. Would like to eliminate the control panel with a simple 5k potentiometer.

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

Not going to happen

The pot will not handle even a tiny fraction of the current needed for the motor to operate
    that's why there are controllers for such situations

3. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    What is the model of the motor board, I designed some for the MC2100 series that require a 20Hz PWM control signal.
    These use a pot and a start & stop P.B.
    This is when using the motor controller in a stand-alone installation, drill press, sander etc.
    M.

4. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    I assume the OP is asking if he can substitute the control console with a 5k pot into the motor control board.
    That is the way I read it anyway.;)
    M.

5. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    How many wires go from the control panel to the power board? Any more than 3 and you'll need more than a pot for controlling the motor. Even with just 3 there's no guarantee a pot would suffice.

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    regardless of the number of wires, a pot on it's own isn't going to handle the voltage and current

7. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    Like I said the MC2100 and some others will not do it with a pot, it requires a PWM signal, this was sent down from the console in normal operation.
    The older MC-60 had a 5k-10k pot that would do it. This was a SCR bridge controller.
    So far the OP's board is unknown.
    M.

8. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Totally agree, but we don't know what is on the 'power board'.

9. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    I think there is a little confusion as to what exactly the pot refers to, the OP did say 'replace the control panel',
    Which to infers that he wants to use the motor board as a stand-alone unit.
    Not use a pot to directly control the motor.
    M.

10. dave9

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
    Since you did not give us enough info to see a solution, it is not possible, yet.

Ask a Question